Fuel additives and 5th gen Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel additives and 5th gen Explorers

bruinsfan

Reaction score
City, State
Northern New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT V6
In my 2007 Explorer, I used Amsoil PI every oil change (8000 mile intervals with Motorcraft full syn oil) and never had any issues with my engine and fuel injectors or fuel delivery system. The SUV runs great; 150,000+ miles.

I'm not a mechanic and am just curious if the 5th generation Explorers would benefit from this preventative type of maintenance? Is there anything about these Explorers (I know there is no changeable fuel filter) that would prevent one from using this type of additive? Would it harm the SUV?

I know the "manual" says don't use additives.... I am just curious if anyone uses them and if they help/hurt their 5th generation Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally think it is a waste of money. The only time I really believe in additives is with diesel motors. Just my opinion but have never had injector or motor issues in all the years I have driven gasoline cars.

It's all snake oil.

I'm not a mechanic and am just curious if the 5th generation Explorers would benefit from this preventative type of maintenance?
Modern fuel, modern engine, modern oil makes additives for gasoline engines worthless. Every time you're tempted to buy some, or the dealer wants to peddle a "cleaning" on you, put that money in a jar and use it for something fun later.

Diesel fuel additives for gelling and lubricity....different story.

In my 2007 Explorer, I used Amsoil PI every oil change (8000 mile intervals with Motorcraft full syn oil) and never had any issues with my engine and fuel injectors or fuel delivery system. The SUV runs great; 150,000+ miles.

I'm not a mechanic and am just curious if the 5th generation Explorers would benefit from this preventative type of maintenance? Is there anything about these Explorers (I know there is no changeable fuel filter) that would prevent one from using this type of additive? Would it harm the SUV?

I know the "manual" says don't use additives.... I am just curious if anyone uses them and if they help/hurt their 5th generation Explorer.
Your Owner's Manual recommends against using oil additives and certain gasoline additives.

Choosing the Right Fuel (Gasoline Engines)
Do not use:
• Fuels containing more than 15% ethanol or E-85 fuel.
• Fuels containing methanol.
• Fuels containing metallic based additives, including manganese-based
compounds.
• Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl
manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
• Leaded-fuel (The use of leaded fuel is prohibited by law).
Note: Use of any fuel other than recommended fuel can cause
powertrain damage, impair the emission control system or cause loss of
vehicle performance. Any damage to vehicle that is caused by use of fuel
not recommended will not be covered under warranty.

Do not use supplemental engine oil additives. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that is not covered by your Ford warranty.

Peter

If you use premium, top tier gasoline, they've already added all the additives you'll ever need. However, I'll not call these extra additives 'snake oil' because many of you use cheap, off brand gas so, these may help when your injectors clog up. :D :salute:

If you use premium, top tier gasoline, they've already added all the additives you'll ever need. However, I'll not call these extra additives 'snake oil' because many of you use cheap, off brand gas so, these may help when your injectors clog up. :D :salute:

Cheap off brand gas...there's like what, 3-5 refineries that supports all of the gas companies in NA?

Cheap off brand gas...there's like what, 3-5 refineries that supports all of the gas companies in NA?

Has nothing to do with where it's refined but, it does have to do with additives...or the lack there of in gasoline hence, cheap, off brand gas.

As someone who has been in that "gas" industry for over 8 years, I can tell you that all the no name brands use the same gas that the name brands use. We are a major name brand that I work for and we get in Mobil, Irving or Global as does every other station around because that is what the port carries. On top of that, everyone buys whatever is cheapest at the time the tanker loads up.

So you could be at Dave's Gas Mart and getting Irving gas and filling up at a Mobil with Global gas.

Yes some add additives but the gas itself varies by day and by station.

The only time I recommend going to more of a major station is for diesel because you want to get it from a place that turns over their fuel quicker with diesel.

Back