Fuel Economy Tips

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I found this great video from Ford about how to increase fuel economy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2UJSMwZ1BU

However, about the warm up. I don't think he said it correctly. Ford does include engine warmers for a reason right? Too cold of a condition, and your engine block would be too tight on the pistons and could cause extra wear.

I hope this video does help people though. I watched it and learned a few things myself. Someone should make a fuel economy contest and see who can get the best fuel economy out of the Explorer on average over 5 gallons or something. I've been managing to average 18.2 MPG which is very good for me since I started with only 13 MPG back when I first got the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I regularly get 24mpg on long trips. I dont do anything crazy just try to be smooth abd look well ahead so i can ajust accordinly

I found this great video from Ford about how to increase fuel economy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2UJSMwZ1BU

However, about the warm up. I don't think he said it correctly. Ford does include engine warmers for a reason right? Too cold of a condition, and your engine block would be too tight on the pistons and could cause extra wear.

I hope this video does help people though. I watched it and learned a few things myself. Someone should make a fuel economy contest and see who can get the best fuel economy out of the Explorer on average over 5 gallons or something. I've been managing to average 18.2 MPG which is very good for me since I started with only 13 MPG back when I first got the Explorer.
Living where it can get really cold at times, I never use my block heater or run the vehicle just to warm up the engine. I usually just get in, start it, buckle up and go. I think what is affected the most by cold weather is the battery. That is why most automotive batteries are rated by their Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). The higher the number the better. Synthetic oil will also help in that it allows the engine to turn over easier.

MPG isn't really a big issue for me. I still have just over a 1/4 tank of gas left and I last filled it up June 14th.:)

Peter

Well, with the two vehicles we have, mpg is not a consideration AT ALL :)

It is what it is !
more affected by driving style and weight than any of the other 50 variables like wind, hills, temp, tire pressure, maintenance, traffic, road conditions, time of year....

etc.. etc...

My thoughts are just drive it and forget about it. If you are so concerned about fuel economy you shouldn't have purchased a 5000lb square box SUV in the 1st place.
It amazes me all the talk over fuel economy for your Explorer. They do make a more fuel efficient vehicle called an Escape and if you are really, really, really concerned about fuel consumption their is another car called a Prius .
Sorry, don't mean to sound sarcastic but even with all this careful fuel efficient driving you may shave off 10-15%...equals maybe $200/yr for the average driver. For those who purchased brand new and paid $40-$50k for their vehicles are you really that concerned over $200 bucks.
Just drive it and have fun...especially those with the Sport :)

My thoughts are just drive it and forget about it. If you are so concerned about fuel economy you shouldn't have purchased a 5000lb square box SUV in the 1st place.
It amazes me all the talk over fuel economy for your Explorer. They do make a more fuel efficient vehicle called an Escape and if you are really, really, really concerned about fuel consumption their is another car called a Prius .
Sorry, don't mean to sound sarcastic but even with all this careful fuel efficient driving you may shave off 10-15%...equals maybe $200/yr for the average driver. For those who purchased brand new and paid $40-$50k for their vehicles are you really that concerned over $200 bucks.
Just drive it and have fun...especially those with the Sport :)
I agree for the most part but then I only fill up an average of 12 times a year.:)
Looks like it may be getting more expensive in this province as well. News said that the gov't may add 3 cents a liter to the cost of gas with yearly increases of 1 cent until an additional 10 cents is reached. That will then be an extra $7 on a complete fill-up.

Peter

Back