• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump Relay Question

arcticguy57

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I've got a 92 Explorer, 4.0, 5 speed with 150,000 miles on it. I found the location for the FPR relay only I'm confused about which one is the actual fuel pump relay. The relay closest to the firewall is green and has 4 plugs. Is that the FPR? I thought it was supposed to have 5 plugs. The other 2 relays have 5 plugs. I know one of the other relays is for the ECU. What's the 3rd relay for? thanks

on the harness from a 93 that I stripped down, the 3rd relay ended up being for the A/C, and not needed. The dist. box might be different from yours, though. On the one that I used, the relay closest to the firewall, inboard, was the A/C, the next one heading to the front of the box was the Fuel, and the one next to that was for the ECU. Maybe this will help in finding yours.

I'm pretty sure you have a Green, Brown and Black relay that basically look the same and are in line with each other. It's been a very long time but I thought it was the Brown relay.

When you buy an aftermarket relay, it will fit in all three spots. The only difference with the OEM relays is they Keyed the plastic housing so it cannot be misassembled at the factory. I guess so they know Brown is Fuel, Green Is ECU and black is EEC (?) or whatever it was.

Back