• Register Today It's free!

Fuel rail pressure sensor

jd92887

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
I got a service engine soon light on my 2004 XLT 4.0. I had the code read and they said its the fuel rail pressure sensor. My question is: is the problem more likely my sensor, or the fuel pump? If it wasn't for the service engine light, I wouldn't even know there is a problem. I haven't had it stall out or anything at all yet. The light had been on and off for a few weeks, but now it is on all the time. If it is the sensor, or the fuel pump, any links to how to's or any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I had the same error on my 2005 and it did turn out to be the fuel pressure sensor. I had a local shop run a diagnostic to be sure before I spent the time and money.

As far as the the replacement, it was pretty straight forward. Just remove the intake manifold, pop old sensor out and replace. The only pain is the two rear bolts for the manifold. While you have the manifold off I suggest cleaning or replacing your PCV. I've read it could be a pain to get to with the manifold on.

I found a step-by-step online, but I didn't save it. I'll post it if I can find it.

Back