• Register Today It's free!

fuel replacementel pump

tie2flyfsh

Reaction score
City, State
idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ranger
Need to replace fuel pump on 1996 ranger. Can't get filler pipe off the tank to drop it. Am I mising something or can I change the pump by takeing off the truck bed? Daughter-in-law really needs her car. Help is really appreciated!

Pull the bed. It takes 5 minutes with air tools. maybe 15-20 without depending on how rusted the bed bolts are. The six bed bolts, three screws that hold the filler, and then a wiring connector in the back to undo the tail lights.

To change the pump you might not even need to undo the taillight wiring. Pull the three bolts on drivers side of the bed. Take the three on the passenger side most of the way out. Unbolt the filler from the bed. Pick up the drivers side of the bed and wedge something under the bed to hold it up. Reach in and pull the fuel pump. It might be easier to just pull the bed. With the tail gate off it is pretty easy for two people to remove it easily.

fuel pump replacement

Thanks. Pulling the bed took less time than I spent raising the rig and finding out that I couldn't drop the tank. I should have asked first rather than relying on a book.

Thanks again.

Back