Fuel System Status ="error" not "open" or "closed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel System Status ="error" not "open" or "closed

ICoull

Reaction score
City, State
Castlegar, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer & Aviator
Can't find a thread that covers the fuel system2 status PID I get on my Forscan tool. Had a bad upstream O2 bank2 sensor P2197 [stuck sensor]. Swapped upstream sensors to confirm, and sure enought I got a P2195 [stuck bank1 upstream sensor]. OK, but from the start of this I have had a "Fuel System2 Status = 'error' PID. Correcting the condition on bank2 and resetting the 2197 DTC has not cleared this PID. Reset of the 2197 turned off the MIL light, but does not make the fuel status for Bank2 'error' go away. Following the disconnect the battery procedure doesn't make it go away either.

Even with the intermittent stuck O2 sensor now in bank1, it doesn't show its "Fuel System1 Status = 'error' ", just open or closed as it should. Anyone able to shed some light on what triggers this 'error' status, and what is required to clear it? The engine had just gone through a timing chain replacement, and for a short while had a dislodged intake manifold gasket [Bank 2] that kept it from running til that was fixed. At this point I'm waiting for a new O2 sensor and will of course replace the 'sticking' one. Fuel trims look good when the sticky sensor finally kicks in, but I can't see how to clear that original Fuel System2 status PID.

OR.... maybe my 4.0 l Explorer only has one fuel system? Gasoline. It may be that the fuel system2 PID is for some 'multi-fuel' variant of Ford?

Sorry to resurrect this thread but did you ever find a solution to this? Just changed out my fuel injectors and I'm noticing this fault as well.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but did you ever find a solution to this? Just changed out my fuel injectors and I'm noticing this fault as well.
The ‘solution’ was the last noted option in the original thread. “There was only ONE fuel system for my Explorer - I guess some were built with multiple fuel systems but not mine, or most. Ian

Back