Fuel tank overflows

TheNefariousOne

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hey all,

I have an issue where if I let the gas station pump run until it clicks off, it overfills my tank and gas comes pouring out of the overflow vent. This happens at any gas station so I'm sure its not anything to do with the auto-shut off on the pumps.

Any ideas? It's not a huge deal but it would be nice to fix it so I don't have to watch to make sure it doesn't overflow every time.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing. I have the same problem. I've been putting 20 dollars at a time in gas for the last 3 years.

Yea, I usually put only 15 gallons in but I hadn't driven the truck in a while so I forgot last night (and locked my keys in the truck at the same time, I was on a roll).

...There is a thread about this somewhere here...

...You need to check your vent tubes and the tubes leading to and from you cannister and purge valve if I remember correctly, it has something to do with the emissions system not working properly ...:scratch:

...Have you checked for stored codes even though you do not have a CEL on?

I checked for codes in my Explorer about 2 months ago and everything read out fine. This was with both tests (engine on and off)

...IIRC, it would then be time to check all evap hoses from your SPV (solenoid purge valve) and canister all the way back to the tank...

...Your evap system is basically a place for the fuel to breath other than going to the atmosphere..Your tank more or less evaps to your cannister and is absorbed by the charcoal...By first checking your codes, you rule out the SPV and any other faults...

...A common item is the hard lines along your frame may need to be blown out with air after disconnecting the rubber hoses on both ends...The rubber hoses will break down and clog the hard line with rubber chunks..Replace hoses as needed.

Back