Gas mileage. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas mileage.

im a bit new to this so tall gears means what exactly. and stocks are 4.10 am i right? i have a feeling im wrong. and mine runs about 1500 as well at 55 and around 2300-2500 running 70-75.
Tall=high. Lower the number the higher the gears, sounds like you have 3.27s, which are very tall, especially for an auto. 4.10s were never put in 1st gens except for a few special order tow packagess supposedly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, just filled up tonight, 17.4 up from 17.25 last tank. On the last tank I was still using 5th below 60MPH for the first 50 miles of the tank, I drove the piss out of it on the tank I just filled as well and still got better.

ok. but you also dont have tall gears so that makes a difference and you also have a manual! i have tall gears and auto so its polar opposites in that sense

ok. but you also dont have tall gears so that makes a difference and you also have a manual! i have tall gears and auto so its polar opposites in that sense
3.27s are retardedly tall, that's why I'm putting 3.73s in it.

When the truck was 4 years old, I was getting around 23 on the highway, 19 city.

Now, with 320k miles on the engine, 160k miles on the tranny, original gears...I get around 15MPG mixed city and state highways (2 lane kind). I rarely take the truck on the highway anymore.

Then again, my oil pump is dieing, main bearings likely wiped, losing compression with a transmission that leaks like a sieve.

Somehow it always starts...still purrs like a kitten and doesn't smoke at all, burn oil, or anything else really bad.

I'm pulling betweem 13 and 17 mixed driving, with my last tank being 14.5. 3.55 gears, 5 speed, and 31x10.5's.

I've gotta fix my leaky valve covers and do an Fuel system/injector/combustion chamber clean and plugs and a new air filter though.

I've gotta fix my leaky valve covers and do an Fuel system/injector/combustion chamber clean and plugs and a new air filter though.

i also wanna run a fuel cleaner and what not, plus a kkm induction kit and new plugs and wires

Yeah, its a good service. I'm a dodge tech at a dealership, we've got all the tools to do it I just have to find the time. I've seen some people have major improvements in power and mileage from plugs and a good fuel system clean.

Yeah, its a good service. I'm a dodge tech at a dealership, we've got all the tools to do it I just have to find the time. I've seen some people have major improvements in power and mileage from plugs and a good fuel system clean.

do you use cleaner that comes from like autozone or do you use a professional cleaner

'93 XLT, little over 166K, 3.27 rear gears, auto, 235/75-15's and just a hair over 13 mpg (US gallon). City driving 5.5 miles each way to work and back.

My '03 Mach 1 with little over 29K, 4.6 litre dual ohc, 5 speed stick, 3.55 rear gears, 245/45-17's gets better mileage :mad:. Pity I can't justify using it for winter driving.

The cleaner that we use is provided to us by Wynn's, although a similar cleaner is provided by BG.

To use it, you disable the fuel pump and block of the fuel return, Isolating the fuel rail and injectors from the rest of the system. You then hook up the Fuel system cleaner tool to the service port on the fuel rail and pressurize it with compressed air. the engine runs for about 20 minutes on the just the cleaner. According to what I know of the product it not only cleans injectors but also carbon deposits from the valves and combustion chamber. There's also an air intake cleaner that you spray into the plenum and a gas treatment that you pour into the fuel tank involved with the service.

I just got back from driving 800 miles and noticed that on the highway i got 19.4mpg still getting about 13 in the city though

I get a max. of 15 on the highway. around 13 town, and around 10 if its in 4X4 and i try racin some friends. :)

Another update, did a 250 mile freeway trip, 19.8MPG cruising 75MPH the whole way, would probably jump to 22-23 if I dropped down to 65.

bump :usa:

Been meaning to check my MPG for over a year now. Just got around to it.

To get the best average I could, I ran through three full tanks of fuel.

1993 Ex Sport 4x4, 100% stock, 199k miles, 2+years since a tune-up.
Stock size tires : Good Year Wranglers (cheap Walmart AT tires) over-inflated to 38psi.

Conditions were on a mixture of very rough secondary roads and 65mph highway driving.
btw, I'm not a conservative driver.

17.6 MPG

I used to get around 17 average. Since I put 33's on it and weighed it down with a few hundred pounds of mud... 14 average. I do mostly city and county highways driving (lots of stop n go in the city and tons of hills on the highways)

Engine and Trans have 309,000Mi as of the beginning of this month. Been, 10,000 miles since the last oil change, probably needs o2 sensors. Has 3.55 gears, A4LD is still tight, It used to slip but I fixed that. And open diffs (unfortunatly for me) Oh and it's 4x4, obviously.

I checked again on a long trip last night; in overdrive with an average speed of 90MPH (I learned by GPS that the speedo's off), I averaged 17.5MPG.

I couldn't figure out why everyone was going so slow until I looked at the GPS later. The X, she must be running better these days as she was quite happy to cruise at that speed with only a little throttle. I was impressed and I think a few other drivers were too :p:

EDIT: For reference, first post was 20.1MPG while poking around town (~30mph). I've got the auto trans and a rear air deflector thing, otherwise stock. 165,000 miles, 4WD, 2dr, etc etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just in case there's still an interest - with all stock (dont know gears), 235x15 tires, from fill-up to fill-up, I checked in at 17.9mpg. About 70% highway, only used to and from work 15 miles each way, 65 to 75mph.

(edit: this was in the '94 4dr/4x4)

Back