Gasoline smell in car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gasoline smell in car

Catspaw

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 4WD Basic
We bought a 2014 used last year. We started smelling gas in the car after fill up, but recently we've started to smell gas at other times too, not every time though.

I haven't been able to find anything conclusive about this model year, but suspects are purge valve and the charcoal canister, or connecting hoses to either.

I'm trying to figure out a pattern of when the gas smell happens when NOT filling up. Errand running (brief shut offs), curves, etc.

Anything I should focus on specifically?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not positive about this, but I think I've bumped or barely touched that purge valve before and it leaks gas like crazy. I thought it was called the low pressure gas line connection from the tank? It's on the passenger side of the engine bay, up top-ish, correct? That'd be my first place to look. I don't have gas smell but if you jiggle that thing on mine a little bit, it leaks gas.

There are times when I think I can smell gasoline too. Although I haven't noticed it for a few months, probably since last summer. I need to check out that purge valve. Didn't have a clue where to look before.

I once over-filled the gas tank of my other car, and smelled gas for about a week, and after that it was back to normal

Forgot about this thread, but I replaced the purge valve. Still get the gas smell on fill up and still get smell of gas afterwards.
Not sure what to do next, other than see if the garage can find something.

Forgot about this thread, but I replaced the purge valve. Still get the gas smell on fill up and still get smell of gas afterwards.
Not sure what to do next, other than see if the garage can find something.

Are you topping off or stopping once it clicks off when filling?

Are you topping off or stopping once it clicks off when filling?

Stopping at first click. Although once, my wife said we needed gas, so it clicked off after about a minute, I thought it was just some backpressure or something shutting it off, and tried to keep filling it, but we had the smell of gas before then though. Possibly previous owners may have tried overfilling.

.......... Possibly previous owners may have tried overfilling.
I stop after the first click, wait a few seconds and then stop for good after the 2nd click. Never had any issues. I would think that unless something got soaked with gas that the smell doesn't linger for long. If you keep smelling gas in the cabin then I'm suspecting a leak somewhere.

Peter

Have you managed to solve the issue?

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member hasn't been seen here since that June 27th, 2019 post.

Peter

It’s the charcoal canister. I work for Stanley steemer as a fleet mechanic and we run into this problem quite often with our array of 20 or so different kinds of vans. We live in northern Michigan, where there’s a lot of dirt roads and salt to deal with. Anyhow the canister vent valve is usually located on the gas tank itself and I’ve pulled a few apart and found all sorts of sand and reconstituted road salt. The code that our OBD throws is for “EVAP system leak detected” not sure the number right off hand but willing to bet that will solve all your problems 👍

It’s the charcoal canister. I work for Stanley steemer as a fleet mechanic and we run into this problem quite often with our array of 20 or so different kinds of vans. We live in northern Michigan, where there’s a lot of dirt roads and salt to deal with. Anyhow the canister vent valve is usually located on the gas tank itself and I’ve pulled a few apart and found all sorts of sand and reconstituted road salt. The code that our OBD throws is for “EVAP system leak detected” not sure the number right off hand but willing to bet that will solve all your problems 👍
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back