2013 XLT Fuel smell in garage when parked | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 XLT Fuel smell in garage when parked

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford XLT 3.5L V6
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT and I have been noticing fuel smell whenever I park it in the garage and as I walk around the fuel cap area. More so when I fill fuel more than half tank. This has been happening ever since I took my car to a Ford Dealer for a recall service (fuel delivery module). The dealer had problems getting the part installed on time as they broke a part while installing and had to order a new part. I had to keep the car at the dealership overnight. The next day I collected it, filled Gas on the way and parked it in my garage. The next day when I went to the Garage there was a strong smell of fuel but I could not find a leak anywhere. I thought because they installed a fuel delivery module it takes time for the smell to away. After 3 days the smell was still there so I took the car into the dealership. They could smell the fuel and told me to get it back with minimal gas in the tank so they can lower it. I got it in after I made sure it was low on gas. They checked it and found that the new fuel pump gasket was leaking. They fixed it and I picked up my car the same day. After I filled up on Gas and parked it in the Garage I could still smell Gas but not as overpowering. I called the dealership and made an appointment to get it back so they can fix it on once and for all. When I got it in they couldn't locate the source of the smell but suggested it could be my PTU which is burnt and had a slow leak. I took my car into my mechanic and he fixed my that issue. I could still smell fuel and its only on the outside of the car and more so when I fill the tank more than half. I couldn't get the car in to the dealer due to the Covid19 Lockdowns but will do so once we are in the clear.

I know its a long shot but have any of you ever come across this situation and it got fixed?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked to see if the little flap in the fuel filler pipe is closing tightly? Did your mechanic check out the fuel smell? Even if the smell originated from the initial leak, it should be gone by now.
A bad PTU will give off a propane-type smell.

Peter

Have you checked to see if the little flap in the fuel filler pipe is closing tightly? Did your mechanic check out the fuel smell? Even if the smell originated from the initial leak, it should be gone by now.
A bad PTU will give off a propane-type smell.

Peter
My Mechanic could smell the fuel and noted it on the invoice but he I did not tell him to try fix it as the Ford dealership was responsible for fixing it. The smell I'm getting is definitely Fuel Nothing else. The Flap on the fuel inlet is tight and I'm not getting a check engine light...

I had this issue with the 2011 SHO (similar platform). I was getting a check engine light after filling (P0422 I think). I found that replacing the charcoal cannister did the trick for me. No more fuel smell or CEL. Some have had luck replacing the cannister purge valve(s) but that did not help in my case.

I had this issue with the 2011 SHO (similar platform). I was getting a check engine light after filling (P0422 I think). I found that replacing the charcoal cannister did the trick for me. No more fuel smell or CEL. Some have had luck replacing the cannister purge valve(s) but that did not help in my case.
Thanks for your suggestion Gary. I will have that checked. How much did it cost you to replace the Evap cannister?

Thanks for your suggestion Gary. I will have that checked. How much did it cost you to replace the Evap cannister?
I did it myself and the Motorcraft evap cannister was $116 from Rock Auto. I picked up the SHO used with 20k miles on it (has 71k on it now) and it always smelled like gas, especially after fueling. Sometimes worse than others, but especially when sitting after filling up. The evap cannister seems to have solved all that.

I did it myself and the Motorcraft evap cannister was $116 from Rock Auto. I picked up the SHO used with 20k miles on it (has 71k on it now) and it always smelled like gas, especially after fueling. Sometimes worse than others, but especially when sitting after filling up. The evap cannister seems to have solved all that.
Thanks. Just a question. If my Evap Cannister was faulty would I smell Gas even if I am low on Gas? In my case I smell gas the strongest at half a tank and above. When the gas dips below I can smell little to no Gas fumes. And this is just outside the car I do not smell gas fumes in the car. Also I can fill up my tank to full no problem which would have been an Issue if fumes where trapped in the tank. Cheers....

Thanks. Just a question. If my Evap Cannister was faulty would I smell Gas even if I am low on Gas? In my case I smell gas the strongest at half a tank and above. When the gas dips below I can smell little to no Gas fumes. And this is just outside the car I do not smell gas fumes in the car. Also I can fill up my tank to full no problem which would have been an Issue if fumes where trapped in the tank. Cheers....
Not sure about that. In my case, it was strongest after filling up. Like you, I didn't smell gas inside, only outside and especially on the right rear (near the filler and cannister). Have you cleaned the flapper thing on the fuel filler? Maybe that's not sealing up as well as it should. There are videos out that as to how to do that.

I was fortunate (?) enough to get a code thrown so that helped in my sorting repair. I'm still thinking that it's a purge valve or cannister because you smell fumes when it's been sitting. When running, the fumes are burned/recycled so you wouldn't smell them then. When parked, the valves are set to send fumes to the cannister to be drawn off and burned when the engine is running so if there's an issue with the valves or cannister, you would smell them then. EVAP system diagram

The purge valves aren't too expensive either. There are two, one under the hood and one on the cannister. Neither is difficult (or expensive) to replace. If you do the one under the hood, make sure you get the correct part. On some, the thickness of the connector is slightly different and the only difference is the last letter in the part number. Ask me how I know. (Doh!)

Not sure about that. In my case, it was strongest after filling up. Like you, I didn't smell gas inside, only outside and especially on the right rear (near the filler and cannister). Have you cleaned the flapper thing on the fuel filler? Maybe that's not sealing up as well as it should. There are videos out that as to how to do that.

I was fortunate (?) enough to get a code thrown so that helped in my sorting repair. I'm still thinking that it's a purge valve or cannister because you smell fumes when it's been sitting. When running, the fumes are burned/recycled so you wouldn't smell them then. When parked, the valves are set to send fumes to the cannister to be drawn off and burned when the engine is running so if there's an issue with the valves or cannister, you would smell them then. EVAP system diagram

The purge valves aren't too expensive either. There are two, one under the hood and one on the cannister. Neither is difficult (or expensive) to replace. If you do the one under the hood, make sure you get the correct part. On some, the thickness of the connector is slightly different and the only difference is the last letter in the part number. Ask me how I know. (Doh!)
Hi Gary, Thanks that is very helpful. I will take it in to have it diagnosed. Cheers

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT and I have been noticing fuel smell whenever I park it in the garage and as I walk around the fuel cap area. More so when I fill fuel more than half tank. This has been happening ever since I took my car to a Ford Dealer for a recall service (fuel delivery module). The dealer had problems getting the part installed on time as they broke a part while installing and had to order a new part. I had to keep the car at the dealership overnight. The next day I collected it, filled Gas on the way and parked it in my garage. The next day when I went to the Garage there was a strong smell of fuel but I could not find a leak anywhere. I thought because they installed a fuel delivery module it takes time for the smell to away. After 3 days the smell was still there so I took the car into the dealership. They could smell the fuel and told me to get it back with minimal gas in the tank so they can lower it. I got it in after I made sure it was low on gas. They checked it and found that the new fuel pump gasket was leaking. They fixed it and I picked up my car the same day. After I filled up on Gas and parked it in the Garage I could still smell Gas but not as overpowering. I called the dealership and made an appointment to get it back so they can fix it on once and for all. When I got it in they couldn't locate the source of the smell but suggested it could be my PTU which is burnt and had a slow leak. I took my car into my mechanic and he fixed my that issue. I could still smell fuel and its only on the outside of the car and more so when I fill the tank more than half. I couldn't get the car in to the dealer due to the Covid19 Lockdowns but will do so once we are in the clear.

I know its a long shot but have any of you ever come across this situation and it got fixed?

Thanks
I have a 2011 ford explorer I was smelling gas than I seen it leaking from air filter housing , so gas is coming through my throttle body also have a section of the intake manifold with gas in it don't know what to do

I have a 2011 ford explorer I was smelling gas than I seen it leaking from air filter housing , so gas is coming through my throttle body also have a section of the intake manifold with gas in it don't know what to do
If it was mine, I'd take it to the dealer or independent garage as soon as possible.

Peter

Hi Gary, Thanks that is very helpful. I will take it in to have it diagnosed. Cheers
Did you ever find the cause? I'm having nearly identical issue. Had mechanic run smoke test for any leaks, nothing found.

Did you ever find the cause? I'm having nearly identical issue. Had mechanic run smoke test for any leaks, nothing found.
Have not found the cause yet. The last time I had it checked the mechanics could not find any leak. I will take it to another dealership maybe I'll have some luck. I will post my findings here when I get it done.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Have not found the cause yet. The last time I had it checked the mechanics could not find any leak. I will take it to another dealership maybe I'll have some luck. I will post my findings here when I get it done.
This issue returned with my '11 SHO so the cause may be the same as it is a similar platform to the Explorer. I actually had fuel leakage (not spillage) after a fillup so I know it wasn't the purge valves, but something with the tank or filler neck. I filled up (to the first click, not topped off), drove about 5 miles to work and at the end of the day there was a little puddle under the car. The parking lot was sloped so the fuel must have been able to leak out the bad gasket. It probably wouldn't have happened on a flat surface.

In my case, the purge valves and charcoal cannister only provided short term remedy and it seems that the cause was the fuel pump seal was going bad and the deterioration got bad enough to leak fluid (fuel) and vapors as well as tripping the CEL. The cost to replace this $15 part came to ~$540 with the labor that was involved. Hopefully this helps your diagnosis.

This issue returned with my '11 SHO so the cause may be the same as it is a similar platform to the Explorer. I actually had fuel leakage (not spillage) after a fillup so I know it wasn't the purge valves, but something with the tank or filler neck. I filled up (to the first click, not topped off), drove about 5 miles to work and at the end of the day there was a little puddle under the car. The parking lot was sloped so the fuel must have been able to leak out the bad gasket. It probably wouldn't have happened on a flat surface.

In my case, the purge valves and charcoal cannister only provided short term remedy and it seems that the cause was the fuel pump seal was going bad and the deterioration got bad enough to leak fluid (fuel) and vapors as well as tripping the CEL. The cost to replace this $15 part came to ~$540 with the labor that was involved. Hopefully this helps your diagnosis.
Hey Gary,

A new Fuel Pump was put in while doing the recall service (Fuel delivery Module). When I got the car back and filled it up with Gas The fuel gauge was not going past the half mark and the fuel odor around the car was extreme. I took it back and the dealership confirmed it was the fuel pump seal gasket. They replaced it. Gauge worked fine but still get the Gas odor around the car but not as much as the first time. Still get it more so if the Tank is at half or higher. Attached a snippet of the Service Invoice.

IMG_20220106_132955.jpg

It may take a while for the smell to dissipate. Please keep us updated.

Peter

It may take a while for the smell to dissipate. Please keep us updated.

Peter
Hey Peter, Its been more than 2 years and I still smell gas fumes but my tank is usually filled below half so don't notice it much. It will need to be fixed at some point. Maybe over the spring I will take it in.

Hey Peter, Its been more than 2 years and I still smell gas fumes but my tank is usually filled below half so don't notice it much. It will need to be fixed at some point. Maybe over the spring I will take it in.
Two years! Okay, then there appears to be an issue, although I don't know why the amount of fuel in the tank should matter unless it has a leak.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two years! Okay, then there appears to be an issue, although I don't know why the amount of fuel in the tank should matter unless it has a leak.

Peter
Hey Peter, It baffles me too :)

Back