• Register Today It's free!

Gauge cluster lights flicker

Tonytitan

Reaction score
City, State
NASHVILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Just bought this 2001 Ex Sport. Occasionally upon heavy acceleration the battery symbol will flicker on and off, the charging gauge will flicker to the H and if driving at night, all the cluster light will flicker also. Is this an alternator issue or something else.

Alternator or wiring problem. Check your connections to the alternator.

Voltage Regulator is going out or slip rings are wearing out. Replace it before you get stranded somewhere. The brushes on the 4G are know to stick not allowing them to make good contact with the slip ring. How many miles on your Explorer?

When it happens I would have a multimeter with me and pull over, shut engine off and check battery voltage.

If battery voltage is low, you have either an alternator problem or an alternator to battery, cable problem, or grounding problem.

If battery voltage is good, you probably have a battery clamp or main battery cable corrosion problem.

You can have the battery and alternator tested at better auto parts stores, but I'd be sure to at least take the cables off the battery, inspect and clean the clamps before any further effort.

Back