GEM Generic Electronic Module Location / Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GEM Generic Electronic Module Location / Removal

SMASHEK

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 5.0 AWD 4dr
Where is the GEM and how do you disconnect it on a 98 EB. The basic behind the dash is not helping me find it.

Are these a recall item?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you take out your stereo and go ahead and take the brazel off, the black plastic trim, then you will see the GEM in the upper left hand space. Looks like a small black box with a BUNCH of wire coming out it. Not hard to get out. I think it has 2 wiring harnesses on it, one big and one small. Good luck.

Happy trails!!

Thanks, now that you you this I remember my Ranger having it in the same place. I ended up solvintg the problem ( a broken wire at door jamb). These sound like they go bad alot. Can you replace or must the dealer program. The manual I read said something about programming the axle code.

I'm not real sure to tell you the truth. I've had to have mine reprogrammed, so i figure they have to have a certain code from each truck.

Happy trails!!

Replacing the GEM

I just bought a GEM to replace the one I have. I'm having all sorts of problems like the windows,power moonroof, interior lights/dome not working, along with the drivers door speaker cutting in and out but you can get it back by playing with the heater controls. The heat is on no matter where you set the temp dial, even pointing to "cold" the heat is on. I hope by replacing this that it fixes at least *some* things LOL But the weird part is that I called two Ford dealerships...one in Mass (HARR Ford in Worcester) and one in NH (DAVID Ford/Lincoln/Mercury in Keene NH) and they both told me that for a '97 I don't have to have it programmed, only the newer models you have to have info from the old GEM downloaded and programmed into the new GEM. Does this sound about right? Thanks in advance for any info....~IronMike

I don't know exactly how it works, but it can be programmed. I also don't know how the GEMs differ from year to year, but i'm willing to be that all 97+ explorers have to have some kind of a program to make the AUTO 4wd work. That is where mine was having problems. I would go around a corner and the 4wd would kick in. The reprogrammed it and it fixed the problem. The GEM does control things like the dome lights. I don't know what else it controls, but i'm sure it will fix some of your problems.

Back