Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I've been meaning to mention this for months. Every morning and even 10 minutes after I turn the ignition key and turn everything off, the fuel gauge will peg. Now if I turn the key switch off and back on the fuel gauge will read empty.
Also the fuel gauge or sending unit does not work. No, I have not tested (ground out the yellow wire) to the fuel sending unit/gauge circuit to see if the wiring and gauge and or sending unit is good. I had bypassed the slosh module in my "92 and that was not the problem. In that vehicle it turned out that the float had a hole in it.
Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 91 did the same thing even the key on off deal too.
Yes you are right with the old hole in the brass float too.
I replaced the sending unit but, I thought about a fishing
float to replace it....

I have a similar issue... except my fuel gauge is just always at E... Occasionally when the truck is off, it'll go up to about a quarter tank, but I'm pretty sure its just broken. Anyone have similar issues know how to solve this? Thanks

I've been carrying 2 spare gallons in case I run out but I usually know how far 6 to 9 gallons will take me and go buy more fuel before I run out.

weird that it pegs!!

Check the fuel tank ground wire and sender wire at the fuel pump electrical connector...I have seen corrosion/dirt/not plugged in all the way on that connector cause some strange issues and by finding the wiring issues saved me from having to drop the tank

After that you should drop the tank and check the signal from the sender wire, should be around 16 ohm empty and 158 ohm full.........

It has a fuel pump access panel and also there is a 4 pin connector right under that panel. I just have to move what is sitting on the seat to access it!

Fixed now??

Thanks!
.cd

@Cheddar_Dan Me? I sold the Plum '94 4 weeks ago and haven't thought about it once. LoL. A few months ago I would have felt lucky to get $500- to $800- for ole "Betsy". I put it on Craigslist for $1150- and a week later lowered the price to $1050-. A day later someone from 75 miles away called and asked me to hang on to it until Friday and the called back and said they would come the next day. They did. I had 2 more calls before they showed up. They had $1050- cash and were very happy to get it. Now me and my brother did spend 3 days cleaning it up and washed it. It had 330.400 miles on it and needed a new set of tires and a windshield to be safe and legal. The "chip" shortage that is affecting the "ALL" car shortage has trickled down all the way in to the "beater" class of used vehicles. I/we are scrambling fixing anything used and selling it off. Even project cars with no engines are selling. A man is coming from south of Atlanta this Friday to buy a 1980 hatchback Mustang that is just a roller and the interior has parts missing or trashed. $1000- cash. October 22nd our 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis Brought $9000-. 3 years ago it would have only brought $5000- to $7000. Feel real good about that one.
I know I'm off topic but I had to tell somebody about it...

@Cheddar_Dan Me? I sold the Plum '94 4 weeks ago and haven't thought about it once. LoL. A few months ago I would have felt lucky to get $500- to $800- for ole "Betsy". I put it on Craigslist for $1150- and a week later lowered the price to $1050-. A day later someone from 75 miles away called and asked me to hang on to it until Friday and the called back and said they would come the next day. They did. I had 2 more calls before they showed up. They had $1050- cash and were very happy to get it. Now me and my brother did spend 3 days cleaning it up and washed it. It had 330.400 miles on it and needed a new set of tires and a windshield to be safe and legal. The "chip" shortage that is affecting the "ALL" car shortage has trickled down all the way in to the "beater" class of used vehicles. I/we are scrambling fixing anything used and selling it off. Even project cars with no engines are selling. A man is coming from south of Atlanta this Friday to buy a 1980 hatchback Mustang that is just a roller and the interior has parts missing or trashed. $1000- cash. October 22nd our 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis Brought $9000-. 3 years ago it would have only brought $5000- to $7000. Feel real good about that one.
I know I'm off topic but I had to tell somebody about it...
Its rather unbelievable what the market is like with cars right now. Really, on everything right now.

Back