General question: Explorer, a great car or a great problem? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

General question: Explorer, a great car or a great problem?

My truck gives me problems, but I still love her. What's not to love? She's like the dopey old hunting hound who is still a good sniffer even at her age. Just needs some TLC every now and then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i went from a brand new 2005 scion xb with no power power to my 2002 sport scions dont tow boats they dont ride smooth and everyone notices you sitting behind the wheel looking like a dork in a box. so yeah periodically the ex will break and ill fix it. still beats five years with a huge payment and ridiculous insurance plus i dont look like a dweeb anymore.

I had my 95 Explorer for 7 years and put over 80 K on her. I would still be driving her now if she hadn't been totaled. Only had small issues with it. but with help of this forum. I was able to solve them all.

Tim

The fun thing is when you have that big payment and lose your job.....that's a good time.So no payments for me thanks.:D

The fun thing is when you have that big payment and lose your job.....that's a good time.So no payments for me thanks.:D

I second that. I was more than happy to pay cash when I bought my rig.

......I came to this forum for advice on problems I had. It's been an invaluable tool & has given me the confidence to tackle projects I've always wanted to but never thought I could.....

To question whether a given vehicle is "any good or not" ignores the whole purpose of a "forum". If everyone here said either "they're good", or "they're no good", what the hell would ANYONE learn from the forum, other than it would be a waste of time? :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: imp

When I had my Explorer, it wasn't maintenance heavy until after 15 years. I loved it though... I wish I could get it back. I'm thinking about purchasing one. Really nice car and I wish I could have gotten my original back. Lost it in a crash. That car is tough and it saved my life.

I just took my '98 explorer to get new struts and tires. The mechanic was shocked that everything on the car was the original. It has 170,000 miles on it. I had not done any work to it before and the previous owner (my uncle) did not either. Of course I've had the regular work done like new tires and what not but everything else is pretty nice.

To question whether a given vehicle is "any good or not" ignores the whole purpose of a "forum". If everyone here said either "they're good", or "they're no good", what the hell would ANYONE learn from the forum, other than it would be a waste of time? :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: imp

You're right, it's a useless question. But consider that here in my country you can see an Explorer so often as I guess you can see a Fiat Panda in the US.
I loved the car, but I don't know it so well and there are really few "expert" people around here.
When i found the forum,it was just like a gold mine. Great entusiasm... on the other side I noticed the great number of posts about problems and issues.
This bitter-sweet convinced me to buy the Explorer. Why would a car full of problems attract so many people? It must be a great car, that's what I thought. I can't wait to drive my 96 Explorer, much more than when I waited for my brand new mazda3 to be delivered!

Ya, both the Explorers I have owned have required extensive maintenance, but the thing is they are relatively easy to work on, parts are cheap and plentiful, and if you actually enjoy working on cars (as long as its not a major job) then its fun owning one, I think. I enjoy going out there and fixing stuff.

Just stay on top of the issues and they will be a great truck, IMO

You're right, it's a useless question. But consider that here in my country you can see an Explorer so often as I guess you can see a Fiat Panda in the US.
I loved the car, but I don't know it so well and there are really few "expert" people around here.
When i found the forum,it was just like a gold mine. Great entusiasm... on the other side I noticed the great number of posts about problems and issues.
This bitter-sweet convinced me to buy the Explorer. Why would a car full of problems attract so many people? It must be a great car, that's what I thought. I can't wait to drive my 96 Explorer, much more than when I waited for my brand new mazda3 to be delivered!

I see your point, and do not disagree. Perhaps it was just the wording of the title which set me off. Sorry! I will be more careful in the future. imp

This is just my opinion, but other than the vehicle's maintenance history, the Ex's reliability depends heavily on the powertrain that's installed.

The overhead cam V6, from what i've read, is powerful and efficient, but has severe reliability problems with the timing components. I've also heard that the manual transmission is far more durable than the automatics, but thats anecdotal only.

The pushrod 4.0 and 5.0 are both very stout motors that will run a long time if maintained. Otherwise, the build quality of the Ex is better than most other vehicles of its time. It has some parts that were poorly made but these are relatively minor (door latches, saggy leafsprings).

I have a 2000 Explorer Sport and its reliability has been very good, most parts i've replaced as preventative maintenance, not because of failure. I've owned old and new Honda civics and accords, Chevy's, Toyotas, etc and every vehicle, even the brand new Honda civic, had problems. I will say that you should be glad you got the 4-door model because they have superior ride quality compared to the 2-door sport model (which is one of my main gripes about the vehicle). The only vehicle i've owned thats had fewer problems than the Ex is a 1993 Honda accord which must be a magical vehicle...190,000 miles and besides maintenance, one sensor has been replaced, thats IT. That's some serious engineering.

One added benefit at least here in the States is that junked Ex's are available in droves at salvage yards. This means that a lot of parts that would normally be very expensive cost next to nothing. The local Pull-a-Part here had about 20 explorers last time I was there.

Back