Getting P0402 CEL code....what should I start checking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting P0402 CEL code....what should I start checking?

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I've been getting a CEL (check engine light) on my 97 AWD Mountaineer with 5.0 V8. In addition to the light, the motor has seemed to have lost a little power and I can hear a small backfire out of the exhaust every once in a while.

I went to AutoZone and they scanned my truck and said that I had a P0402 error (EGR flow excessive). I had the same code a year ago and relplaces the EGR valve and the tube that goes to the exhaust manifold and the problems went away.

Could the EGR valve have gone bad in a year? What are some other things that I should check before I start throwing money at the problem?

Thanks

Do a search on P0402.

I already did a search and found a bunch of great info. I was just wondering if any one else had a problem like this were the EGR problem came back after replaceing the EGR valve.

Well, i've changed the 3 main component of my egr system and still have code 402. I first replaced the DPFE & hoses, then the EVR, and finally the EGR - and NOTHING has fixed my problem. I'll need to do something before my next inspection (November) - i gotta be CEL free by then.

Back