getting rich and lean codes at the same time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

getting rich and lean codes at the same time

Chasethexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
99 sohc 5 speed swap done about 6 months ago. Ok so truck was running like normal, maybe a slight miss that had been happening for a while, I bought a 1354 transfer case and a 4wd trans to convert to 4wd. The swap went fine except when I tried to start the truck it would just keep blowing the starter fuse so we figured out that if we undid the ground from the battery to the starter it would start so we ended up running a new ground cable from the battery over to the alternator bracket. I figured that was the last of the problems, until I drove the truck, it was hesitating really bad and seemed like it wasnt running on all cylinders. after driving for a few days it got noticeably worse to where sometimes i could barely break 1500 rpm especially when the engine was cold. I noticed a bad exhaust leak on both sides so I took them back off and retried, I dont think they are leaking anymore, When i would floor it, it would seem to have about normal power. I started getting codes 1131, p1132, p1151,p1152, which says both forward o2 sensors- lack of ho2s- 11 switches- sensor indicates lean, and rich. I dont understand how they both can be reading rich and lean at the same time. At first a neighbor mechanic took a look at it and said it seemed that when he touched the pcm wires that it fixed it so he greased up the terminal and I left, after paying him I realized that It wasnt fixed. I ended up replacing all o2 sensors with ones from the junkyard because I dont have 200 to spend on all four, and the first day this started I looked into my exhaust, no muffler and the o2 sensors were glowing bright red. I also thought that It could be intake manifold gaskets so I replaced those, after replacing all those it now runs a million times better, but I got the same codes back and still dont have nearly as much power as I used to and you can tell there is still a miss or something, it still hesitates a little bit when partial throttle, and seems that randomly I get all power back for a short amount of time. Another wierd thing that confused me was i pulled the wires at the coil to see if i was getting spark to all cylinders and the first day when i pulled the passenger side wires it made no difference in idle, now today after i replaced all of that, the passenger side wires made a difference, and the driver side dont. My next thoughts were to clean maf check for more vacuum leaks, change pcv, change spark plugs and wires, but I have no money at the moment haha so that will have t wait a couple days. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this damn problem, It doesnt seem to make any sense to me. Oh and I used 4 low today and it is the most badass feeling going from a 2wd auto to 4wd 5speed haha.

Thanks, Chase

bump

check wiring

P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1
P1132 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1
P1151 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2
P1152 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 2

Since you're not getting:
P0135 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0155 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
then the PCM has determined that the precat O2 sensors are connected.

The PCM increases the Air/Fuel on each bank until the O2 sensors indicate lean and then decreases the A/F ratio until the O2 sensors indicate rich. In your case the PCM has varied the A/F ratio up to the maximum limit and determined failures. Your PCM has probably defaulted to running open loop since it can't rely on the O2 sensors for closed loop.

I suspect that you disconnected the precat O2 sensors when converting to 4WD and swapped the connectors when hooking back up the O2 sensors. I suggest that you disconnect one of the O2 sensors (easiest one to get to) and see if the reported heater circuit malfunction corresponds to the one disconnected. Bank 1 is on the passenger side and bank 2 is on the driver side.

Bank 1 sensor 1: RD/WH, GY/LB, OG, LB/OG
Bank 2 sensor 1: RD/BK, YE/LB, OG, LB/OG

ok so you are saying to just unplug a front o2 sensor and see if it comes up with a malfunction code for the corresponding sensor? When I originally did the swap, all i did was remove the sensors from the exhaust, I did not unplug them, but i will try that. Im starting to think It is a wiring problem or a fuel related problem, I can hear it backfiring at low rpms now which it didnt do before, and today I started it and put my hand over the drivers side exhaust and it was hot, when i put my hand over the passengers side it was just cold air and it had a rythym to it where it would try to suck my hand up to the pipe. Also after it sits over night when i start it in the morning it is horrible, if im in first and try to drive there is no power whatsoever and once it warms up it gets to where It will be somewhat ok then revert back to ****, then sometimes briefly have all power.

I really appreciate the help, this is my daily and is makin it real hard to get to work and back, i just want it to be reliable as hell like it was.

Thanks, Chase

Back