Glove box light? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Glove box light?

Has anyone installed a light in the glove box of a late model?

I want it to be switch ( when the glove box door is opened/closed ) operated.

Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean they actually don't have them from the factory!? My '95 does.

Originally posted by yob_yeknom
You mean they actually don't have them from the factory!? My '95 does.

My 99 doesn't have one. Progress, huh?

97 was the last year they put them in. My 98 doesn't have one. It's also missing the keyed lock. It too was eliminated in 98. Other lights eliminated: reflector/light on driver and passenger doors (reflectors only now), & underhood light.

Originally posted by Jim F
97 was the last year they put them in. My 98 doesn't have one. It's also missing the keyed lock. It too was eliminated in 98. Other lights eliminated: reflector/light on driver and passenger doors (reflectors only now), & underhood light.

Has anyone added any of these "factory omitted" lights?

Thanks...

I know there was a thread on adding an under-hood light. Do a search. Maybe it'll work for the glove compartment light also.

What a crock of $H!T Ford getting so cheap that it doesn't even put bulbs in the glove compartment! Someone really ought to tell them how it is! I'd like to get a hold to the guy who made that decision!

My 92' does. I even put in a blue bulb. Fords gettin pretty cheap these days.

That's odd, my 2000 4-door has a glovebox light, I put a blue 194 bulb in mine too

Over-head console

I believe the reason the glove box light was eliminated is because the over-head console light points right into the glove box when lit. It may be that if you don't have the over-head console (compass/temp display) they put the glove box light in.

No, I have not researched the addition of this light, but I may if I get bored.

I would think that ripping one out of an X in a junkyard and installing it into yours couldn't be too complicated. If some had them then the wiring is probably already there. You'd probably just have to trace the one from the junk yard back to the wiring harness.

Don't want to bring up an old thread but this one was never really resolved. I do not have a glove box light in my 98 and I'm interested in installing one. Has anyone done this? Can a glove box light and switch from an earilier model X be retrofitted into a 98?

Anyone know the best way to do this?

Appreciate any advice.

Lee

My 04 Eddie Bauer has a glove box light.

Has anyone done this? Can a glove box light and switch from an earilier model X be retrofitted into a 98?

I did it on my 98. I went to the junk yard and found a ford with a glove light on it and put it in my pocket. Went home, unscrewed the bar in my box and put in the new bar with a light in it. Very easy job. Glove box did not shut all the way so I loosened the bar and shoved it a little more to the rear, and walla. 1 98 X with a glove box light. Also for my hotwire, I just used a voltage tester to find one hot right behind the glove box while the keys were out of the ignition. Works like a 100 dollar job. Total costs.
1 trip to junk yard. 50 cents for gas
1 wire nut, 20 cents
1 foot of left over wire in the garage, 0
Knowing I did this myself, PRICELESS! LOL

HotDogs

Thanks BBQ.

That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I saw in the Haynes manual that earlier models had the the push type light switch (refrigerator door type) and some later models had the the light and switch integrated on the receiving part where it meets the latch from the door.

I am assuming from your post that you installed the latter. If so, can you confirm that I need to get the switch, light and receiving latch part all together as one unit and then remove the existing receiving latch part (bar type?) from mine and install?

Thanks.

Lee

can you confirm that I need to get the switch, light and receiving latch part all together as one unit and then remove the existing receiving latch part (bar type?) from mine and install?

Confirmed. It is a bar that has the light with a wire already attached to it and not a refrigerator type thingie. It grounds itself out with the screws that you use to tighten it down with. The simplest thing I have done to my X at all. But to be honest with you, I cannot really tell a whole lot of difference in the view with a light in it. It does show some light, but not really what I expected. I did just order some LED bright white 194 bulbs and plan on replacing the factory bulb with one of those. If I had it to do all over again, I would still do it again. LOL. Just have to have a light in my glove box and that is all there is to it. ;-)

"Just have to have a light in my glove box and that is all there is to it. ;-)"

Me too.

Thanks a bunch BBQ.......Guess I'm heading to the junk yard.

Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I know I could do it with that pin switch.......Just haven't been able to find one till your post. Been to the usual suspects (Pep Boys, Autozone etc.) but no luck. I did pick up a borg warner universal door type switch at a local auto parts store but it's to big to mount without fabricating some kind of big ugly noticible bracket for it. That's why I thought the junk yard route would be easiest. Any idea what kind of brick and mortar stores might carry this locally.? I really don't want to make a $.75 internet purchase if I can help it.

BTW.....thanks for the post and the link.

Lee

Back