Good deal? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Good deal?

Who would want a 4-wheel drive unless you live off-road, like to pay high gas prices and enjoy dealing with PTU, water pump issues and very bad head lights. I have sold a few Ford Explorer police cars in MI. The explorer has an ever failing water pump. The first one is generally fixed under warranty @ 60,000 miles or less. The PTUs are never serviced (unserviceable) You will have to drill a drain hole and fill through the vent hole. and they generally, will fail @ about 90,000 miles, depending on how it is used. The PTU for the police vehicles have a water jacket to help keep the cool so they will last longer than the civilian vehicles but still gets too hot. They have premature failures of the catalytic converter. I know of one vehicle the converters (2) were replaced twice under warranty and once out-of warranty. Wazz-up wit datt? Projection headlights are the worst in the industry. Oddly they were developed in Europe. Europe, with their road racers, have developed great lighting, i.e., Lucus, Cibie, Etc. Why projection beams?? Most police will use auxiliary lighting. If you buy one of these police vehicles, make sure the water pump was changed at least once. Drain, & flush the oil in the PTU as soon as you get it so you will know the status. It will come out like lard @ about 120,000 miles. The only good thing I can say for these Explorers' is they have good brakes and if the 6-speed tranny is working well it will have great shifting. I would never buy one of these for resale without a complete service record. Most of my records have been about 60 pages; mostly dealing with nails in tires, general fluid changes and bad batteries. Good luck.
well for starters i DO live off road. For another, i need an explorer to fit my needs of hauling cargo around and being generally large to accommodate my height.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As Volks said, the water pump is the top consideration, IMO. Then the condition of the PTU is second and then the transmission. At 130k the water pump could go for another 100k miles or as you are driving it off the lot. It is a $1.5k-$2k repair bill to replace it. If it fails and takes out the engine then it is a $5k-$7k repair bill. Can you find out which police department had it? If you can then they might tell you some history on it regarding repairs and maintenance.
You, green and Volksjager seem to know a bit about the interceptor, would you happen to know if enabling PATS is a thing on these? I’m going to be taking this with me to college as well and would like to have that protection so people cant just pick my cylinder and drive off lol.

Found a 2013 Fpiu at a dealership near me, they sell older vehicles. He wants $8,900 for it but says he can work with me on price. It’s your basic Iu, except it has sync, the aux switches, and some whelen modules in the space between the spare cover and the 2nd row. It’s got 130000 miles on it and it has 8,300 engine hours total. It runs and drives good and everything seems to be working just fine. Body is in average shape, frame isn’t rusted out except for surface rust and the body i couldn’t find rust except for the rear keyhole. Deal good or no? Lmk what i should do if I do end up moving forward. Thanks
Just some food for thought here: even if you haven’t been able to pull up the actual idle hours on the vehicle, as long as you have the total miles and total engine hours (which is sometimes the best that you can get out of some sellers until you can actually sit in the driver’s seat yourself) you can calculate the average miles per hour over the life of the engine. 130K miles divided by 8300 engine hours is an average “lifetime mph” of 15.66 mph. Since we all know that very few cops/agencies would ever patrol at an average of 15mph, this already tells me that it has very high idle hours. An average of 40+mph is what I’m looking for personally; something more like a state trooper or county deputy, who is also more likely to have had one specific car issued to one specific officer, as opposed to several officers slip-seating one car in a city, and also covered a large area (ergo a lot of highway miles), as opposed to a city cop spending a lot of time idling, as well as most trips being short and most miles being “city” miles. Just one more way to look at it.

You, green and Volksjager seem to know a bit about the interceptor, would you happen to know if enabling PATS is a thing on these? I’m going to be taking this with me to college as well and would like to have that protection so people cant just pick my cylinder and drive off lol.
Dont think you can. Pretty sure the keys for PIUs dont have any electronics in them.
I had a viper remote start in my 13. Perhaps get a viper security system? I thought about getting a viper remote start/security system done for my current 17.

Dont think you can. Pretty sure the keys for PIUs dont have any electronics in them.
I had a viper remote start in my 13. Perhaps get a viper security system? I thought about getting a viper remote start/security system done for my current 17.
perhaps. I just know the Pats system has historically been a pain in the rear for thieves because its not easy to circumvent. I was also thinking trying to get factory perimeter somehow, maybe from junkers since this all sounds a little pricey.

The Explorer is not actually a true 4WD Joe. It is FWD biased and only changes to AWD/4WD when conditions cause it to automatically change. Thus the term "Intelligent 4WD". You don't need to live "off-road" to take advantage of the system, More and more of these types of vehicles have the same system. It is great for driving in snow, sand, loose gravel, wet roads etc. As for gas prices, you don't have to pay any more than any other vehicle for gas since it will run perfectly on regular gas. People that buy Explorers and similar vehicles aren't buying them for fuel economy so they expect lower MPG.

Peter
Thanks Pete, well stated.

Found a 2013 Fpiu at a dealership near me, they sell older vehicles. He wants $8,900 for it but says he can work with me on price. It’s your basic Iu, except it has sync, the aux switches, and some whelen modules in the space between the spare cover and the 2nd row. It’s got 130000 miles on it and it has 8,300 engine hours total. It runs and drives good and everything seems to be working just fine. Body is in average shape, frame isn’t rusted out except for surface rust and the body i couldn’t find rust except for the rear keyhole. Deal good or no? Lmk what i should do if I do end up moving forward. Thanks

Any pics?

Any pics?
I don't have any unfortunately. I went to see it in person several times since the dealer and I we're in touch about it, he hasn't put it on the lot yet because it still has an engine code so that is why we've been talking about it for a while. Its just a light brown interceptor with a spotlight and some shadow stickers on the side, I wasn't able to tell the organization it belonged to by the sticker residue but I do know surely it was a state patrol car by the impression of the logo on the side. It was in overall good body shape and I couldn't find any rust on the body except for the rear keyhole as usual.

I don't have any unfortunately. I went to see it in person several times since the dealer and I we're in touch about it, he hasn't put it on the lot yet because it still has an engine code so that is why we've been talking about it for a while. Its just a light brown interceptor with a spotlight and some shadow stickers on the side, I wasn't able to tell the organization it belonged to by the sticker residue but I do know surely it was a state patrol car by the impression of the logo on the side. It was in overall good body shape and I couldn't find any rust on the body except for the rear keyhole as usual.
Did you drive it? Do you know what code its throwing?

Did you drive it? Do you know what code its throwing?
Yeah I drove it already and it drives really well actually, no anomalies. The code is an EVAP code so I'm not sure what it entails exactly but they said their ford guy is taking care of it so we'll see what they come back with

Yeah I drove it already and it drives really well actually, no anomalies. The code is an EVAP code so I'm not sure what it entails exactly but they said their ford guy is taking care of it so we'll see what they come back with
I had an EVAP code and when I replaced the canister purge valve, it fixed the code.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some paint bubbling on the lip of the hood.

Peter

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some paint bubbling on the lip of the hood.

Peter
Wasn't there some sort of Ford program to cover the hood paint and around rear keyhole??

Wasn't there some sort of Ford program to cover the hood paint and around rear keyhole??
There is for the hood paint bubbles.

Peter

It really depends on the car condition, especially the drive chain, suspensions etc. It isn't that much different than buying a retail used car so you should bring someone who familiar with cars if you ain't. I'd say for 130k, $8,900 is a bit too high.

I had an EVAP code and when I replaced the canister purge valve, it fixed the code.
Yeah i think it was that because it was ticking real bad off of the valve unless it was unplugged

Back