good larger tire size for stock 17 inch rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

good larger tire size for stock 17 inch rims?

deuce07

Reaction score
City, State
hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 xlt v8 ironman
my tires are starting to bald. i was wondering whats a good size tires to fill the gap between my fender and my tires without any rubbing. (no lifts or anything to my trucks suspension)

i'm not looking for off-roading tires, but rather street tires.

i know originally my car comes with 245/65R17

any recommendations? if you have the tires on your ex, please post a picture! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

currently I have Michellan 275/65/17 all teriann tires
many are installing 265/70/17 BFG without rubbing

anyone got pics of a 265/70/17?

how much mph would it be off by on the speedometer?

Just a guess it but I think it wouldn't be much off... I'm running 33's over my stock size and it is only off by like 4mph.

how much mph would it be off by on the speedometer?

they would be about 3/4" wider. 2" taller, and like said "speedo would be off 4 mph", good luck

That's quite a large difference. You speedo would be 7% too slow. So, the faster you go, the more your speedo will be off. Yours reads 56, you're actually going 60. You will notice a decrease in power/acceleration. For more of a street tire look, you can go to a 275/60 -- which is only 1/2" taller than stock. It would be the same height as the stock 18s.

Tire calc:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

I had 275/60/17 studded Coopers tires for the winter and didn't have any rubbing. Just like KKreit said, they're only about 1/2" taller.

33558210032_large.jpg

33558210035_large.jpg

thanks! that dont look like 17s. are they?

thanks! that dont look like 17s. are they?

265/70-17... Makes them about 31.6" diameter overall :D, that's why they don't look like 17". That, and the smaller offset on the rims.

fills the gap quite nicely! but its alittle bit too "round" for my taste. :(

I know what you mean, it's a matter of taste afterall.

Wow -- those really fill out the fender wells. Great choice of tire, and nice wheels. Looks great!

what do you have for vent visors over the windows? I bought ones made by western that were in channel and they seemed too tight when it came to putting the windows up. The rears even ended up bowing in and looked horrible so I removed them. You did that truck up right, looks good.

what do you have for vent visors over the windows?

Thanks. They're WeatherTech, pretty much the most durable stuff you can get (IMHO). Pricey, no doubt, but well worth it. I used their stuff on my old Durango, from bug deflectors to cargo liner, and they are very good. As far as tightness, it is a little tight when the window is rolled completly up, but it does not seem to have any adverse effect, even on the tint film on the front window (about 1 year so far).

take a closer look at your windows on the outside. it should be all scratched up.

There are a few minor scratch marks (maybe 1/4" at best) on the forward section of the windows, but they are barely visible with the tint (and the fact that I haven't washed the poor girl in a while!). It may get worst with time and more visible when I remove the tint (not legal) if I ever decide to sell it. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Thanks for bringing it up, I would have never thought of looking that closely.

BTW, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Back