• Register Today It's free!

Goodbye 2002 Explorer XLT

justchecking

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 2WD
This was a GREAT car. I drove it to 207,648 miles before selling it yesterday to buy a new 2013 Pathfinder! It still runs great and I hope the new owners get a few more good years out of it. Third row seat and rear air to carry the kids and grandparents around at the same time, towed two different campers with it and two different boats. The paint still looks great and I don't think I waxed it more than 6 times the whole 10 years, 7 months I owned it.

This particular one was built in Dec 2000 and I bought it from Ford with 14,000 miles on it. I think it was a prototype, the original window sticker says "NOT FOR SALE". I was a little peeved when I found out I bought a 2002 Explorer in June 2002 and later found it was built in 2000, but oh well.

I did have to repair a few things (replaced a few wheel bearings, transmission rebuild, ball joints), but not unexpected in 200,000 miles with the towing I did.

Overall a great car but it was time for something different. ;)

Attachments

• Ford1.JPG
    Ford1.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 328

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was a tough decision. We researched and tested all the vehicles with the towing capacity and features we wanted (except for one manufacturer we had a bad experience with). We liked the combination of features and technology in the new Pathfinder. It also came with a lifetime power train warranty through our local dealer. Ours was made in Smyrna, Ga.

Back