Got a 20GB iPod, anything I need to know? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a 20GB iPod, anything I need to know?

DirtyDog

I will not!
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Sport
I just bought a 20GB 4th gen iPod and I was just wondering if there was anything I need to know about it? I already bought the adapter for my Pioneer deck to change the CD changer input to RCA input.

Thanks,
Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get either the Belkin car charger or Monster Cable iCarCharger, and you'll be set. Both have inputs for the stereo mini cable (which if you don't have already, the Monster Cable iCable is a nice one), amplifies the signal and sends to your Pioneer CD-RB10 AUX adapter you got.

If there's an extended warranty, it's worth every penny. The battery has a severe flaw and may wear out quickly depending on use. It's expensive to replace. Also, there are a few bugs with the software linking them to a PC. If you have a PC instead of an Apple, make sure all your songs are backed up constantly. The bugs have been known to be severe enough to crash the iPOD and require it be sent in for replacement. Also, be very carefull with all of the plugs and cables, the connectors wear out quickly if handled roughly.

Otherwise, congrats! Every new technology has its' flaws, you just need to expect and work through them.

Yeah, get the extended warranty. It's called 'AppleCare' and lasts 2 years + the 1 year (3 total) of the manufacturer's warranty.

I just ordered mine today through my Penn State student discount for $47 (I think Apple charges $59 regularly). As woody said, it's worth every penny.

Thanks guys. I did get the extended warranty (3year). The salesman told me about the battery problem. I paid $70 Canadian for the exteneded warranty but the guy said it's a "performance" warranty which means it doesn't have to fail completely, it just has to stop performing as well as the day I bought it.

I wonder if there's such a thing for the HP version of the iPod because Apple doesn't cover HP's version of the iPod. I bought my 40GB from buy.com and they didn't offer any extended warrenties.

a thrid option for the ipod charger is called the sik imp which has a true line out output rather than the belkin and monster line outs which are amplified. If your hooking it up to a system you'll get better quality from a non amplified line out. However you have to order it online, cant just go pick it up, but its cheaper than either of the others.

www.ipodlounge.com a great site for all things ipod related

I have Belkin Auto Kit. I bought that on Ebay for $5 including shipping (I got lucky on that). All I have to do is to plug it in, plug in my 3.5mm plug into the charger and plug the RCA ends to my aux-in and I have sound!

Back