Great Forum - New (old) Explorer Owner - 98 Ltd. 5.0L AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Great Forum - New (old) Explorer Owner - 98 Ltd. 5.0L AWD

Attacking Mid

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Ltd. 5.0L AWD
Picked up a well-used '98 LTD 5.0L AWD for my 16 y.o. to get around in and to pull our camper in the summer. Thanks to the many contributors on this forum, I was able to find a bargain with some issues knowing I could fix them without too much expense.

With 182K mi. and no air conditioning, I was able to get this vehicle fairly cheap. I cut the bottom of the plenum, replaced the blend door, scanned/reset the HVAC system to get the actuator working, threw in a can of freon, and.... I have AC!

Based on many hours scouring this site, I am changing the fluids in the differentials, transfer case, and engine. Tranny fluid looks and smells clean.

I was afraid I might have a viscous coupler issue in the transfer case, but after removing/cleaning the power steering reservoir, then flushing/filling the system with Mobil 1 ATF, I now have a pretty quiet front end and steering. As others have found, the screen in the bottom of the PS reservoir is pretty fine, and mine was gunked over pretty good - even though the fluid actually looked pretty good. MUCH quieter after a good cleaning!

The rear differential must have been serviced at one time, as the cover had no gasket and was sealed only with silicone sealant. It was very black and slightly gunky - I've seen worse. Now it has fresh M1 75/140 and Trans-X friction modifier.

The chassis squats in the back, so it looks like new leaf springs are in order. I have the no lights in the radio issue - I may let the kid tackle that one.

Other than that, I think we have a bargain on our hands. Engine and tranny seem great, inside is decent, and the white paint is good other than a few scratches. Overall, I'm pretty pumped about my purchase!

AM.

Sounds like you've gotten a great start at wrenching on your new Ex! Welcome to the forum!

Back