green stickered 2000 mounty???

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
lately i was wondering about either buy a green stickered fully built tubed Ranger to be towed and played with at the dunes only. But was also thinking I could probably be better off spending my money on building my mountaineer and green stickering that puppy. If i threw a ford crate motor, im guessing it' wouldnt be smog legal, so would it be possilbe to green sticker the mercury???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why is a crate motor not legal?
Doesnt your truck have a bent frame?
where is the bend

You can green sticker anythhing in CA that is off road, even golf carts.

actually i got the bent frame fixed. its kosher now. crate motors are legal?

What crate motor? You can buy a carebed 5.0L, a GT-40 5.0L, complete or jsut the short block.

What are you thinking of doing? Putting in a carbed 5.0L?

Crate motor is just a term used to describe a pre-machined, prebuilt engine block built to specs, it doesnt tell me what engine you are looking to buy.

2000 Mounty with a 5.0L has OBD-II electronics, a GT-40 5.0L pushrod engine, which is one of the best engines ford ever built. Putting anything else in there is workling backwards.

If you are talking about buying a 347 crate engine, thats great, there is no reason why you cannot use your fuel injection and DIS ignition on a bored and stroked 5.0L.....that would still be emissions legal even in CA

What are you trying to accomplish? more power?

What's "green stickering"?

yeh ur rite fortune. i got a supercharger for my motor sitting on my desk. i was thinking about uppin up to a 347.

green sticker in CA means off road use only, usually on projects that wont pass emissions or no longer meet the street legal req they have (lights, covered tires, fuel cell, etc)

a 347 is NOT a good choice for the supercharger UNLESS it is a custom block.
The factory 302 block bored and stroked to a 347 has thin cylinder walls. Now you are talking big bucks :)
330 is a better bore stroke for a factory block.

I say get a built 347 block and give me the supercharger because I would be more then happy to suopercharge my Gt-40 factory 5.0L, 24# injectors, a fuel management system, and computer tune with the factory block, headers and large exhaust = WOAH MOMMA
we are talking alot of HP, plenty to motivate your truck, withouth dropping all that $$$$$$$ for a new engine. Your trans will need some simple upgrades to handle the torque and power as well, but the 4r70w can take 500 HP with just small tweeks.

These are the reasons I now own 3ea GT-40 5.0L drivetrains, and no more V6's........

yeah and lock that rear end too! i was thinking about stopping building up my explorer and just getting an old beamed ranger but i dont go to the desert enough to get full use out of it and i have way more fun building something you dont see everyday here in souther california, unlike those "prerunner" rangers. not that anything is bad with the rangers because i love that truck its just that there are a million and a half of them out here. its cool to see something else...

arvin, jsut get the supercharger... no need to keep it green stickered as 410 says, its already way capable of more.......

clarkkent said:
yeh ur rite fortune. i got a supercharger for my motor sitting on my desk. i was thinking about uppin up to a 347.

On your desk, WTF......... That's one expensive paper weight! Get it on that 347. You guys are rockin, 410 your on a roll on this one.

There is a reason you see so many Prerunner rangers in So Cal, they are SICK ass trucks thats why, ranger or Yota, Ranger is cheaper and easier to build, tough as nails, and fun in the desert.

I want to build a 2wd Ranger......long travel long travel long travel

believe me i know 410 and by no means am i trying to bag on the prerunner rangers, i used to own one a few years ago. every time i go to the desert i go with a group of my friends that have rangers, 1 beamed one and 3 a arm ones, one of which is an edge. all of which have entry level camburg kits and perform extremely well and take a huge beating, and nothing breaks. i wasnt trying to make the ranger sound bad i just thinks its cool having something different that performs as well as they do.

just send me the blower and problems will be solved.

hahaha I know that dude, dont sweat it. Watching a long travel A arm Ranger or equal length beamed ranger work is awesome, especially with a linked rear.....
I want one.

it sure is fun to see those things work...wish i had one i just dont have the money to finance a big build or the fabrication skills it would take to build one myself! otherwise i would love one

yeh ive been thinking about building up my truck so that its not a daily driver anymore. A month ago i blew up my gas tank and almost went with a fuel cell, but said no cause it wouldnt pass smog.

Im gonna buy another daily driver soon, maybe a new bmw 330, and thought maybe i can finally do some crazier **** to my truck. i'll probably get rid of the upper uniball arms and lame dual shock setup i have now and do a full upper and lower uniball arm with coilovers.

that sounds awesome but that would cost some $$$$$$$

the bmw or the build of my truck?

shouldnt be too much for me. im sponsored....... by my parents. *aheh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was gonna say both but i guess it wont be too expensive..maybe they could hook me up too! ;)

Back