Grinding Noise when I turn | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding Noise when I turn

why_most_buy_Jap

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
:roll:I have an 02 Explorer XLT with Auto-4wd. When I accelerate to make a turn or take a corner at low speeds, there's grinding noise from all four wheels (alternating) and a vibration throughout the whole truck. It also seems as the wheels are sticking and it needs a little extra power to go through the turn. The terrible grinding,rubbing,humming noise stops after the vehicle completes a turn. The vehicle is not in 4high or low but in 4x4 auto.
Thank you very much in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! I'm sorry, what's the question again? And about the someone that dropped you a line, what did they suggest the problem was?

I had a similar sound, later it turned out to be the ABS system.

are you braking when it makes the sound?

if it's grinding, perhaps all the brake need to done?

Only does this while making a turn from a dead stop or a slow corner without brakes applied. However, it does feel like the brakes are grabbing or it's kicking into 4wheel drive and I have to force the truck to move ahead. The grinding/vibration comes from all four wheels. I was thinking hub/bearing but it's rare all 4 would go bad at the same time. Is there a sensor on transfer case that would automatically switch to 4wheel drive while turning if faulty?
PS brakes including pads and rotors were replaced all the way around.

I have an 04 auto 4x4.
If I turn the wheels all the say to right or left lock, and try to move my 4x4 system will engage and feel like its binding. I notice it when I go to back into my driveway mostly.

When you turn are you fully turned one way or the other. It never happens for me in normal driving or cornering.

How long have you had the explorer? Have you owned other 4x4 vehicles? They all do the same on dry pavement.

Are you going full lock when turning?

Back