rubbing noise when turning???

twy07

Reaction score
City, State
Reston Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt v8
hey there.

heres the problem, i have a 02 v8 x. when turning at low speed..theres a rubbing noise...and vibration, its not the transfer case..as i did the brown wire mod a few months back. its not all the time either... i am completely lost as to what it could be. any suggestions???? let me know. its not a grinding noise..just like a rubbing noise..which vibrates the vehicle and the steering wheel slightly..you can feel it in the wheel...HELP!!!:usa::usa::usa::usa::exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats the upper ball joint boot look like on that thing?

had this happen to me in november.

it was a rear differential problem that the 02s. They replaced the clutch packs, some bearings, and all-in-all, it was about $1500 to rebuild...after i talked them down 10%

thank god for my warranty..

talked to the warranty people from where i bought my 02 x v8 from, turns out I purchased the best warranty i could have..i dont remember..but hey...and the "clutch packs" are covered under this..Ill let you guys know how it goes..going into the ford dealer next week...

I have a similar problem.
When turning, just slightly to the left, --it's more like TOUCHING the steering wheel and gently pushing it to the left-- I can feel a rubbing/vibration in the steering wheel and can also hear it. Doesn't happen when going straight or turning right!
Sounds like a differential noise but it's coming from the front/front left area.

Is there anything I can check?

thanks

clutch packs

def sounds like my problem..to the T...

I am going to have the clutch packs in the rear end dif changed, that should take care of your problem.

I have the exact problem with my 2002 XLT, it feels as the the 4X4 engages while turning. What did you discover the problem to be?

you could try having the center diff and rear end fluid changed. make sure they add the additive to the rear end and see if that helps. cheaper than doing the clutch packs. just did mine, but i didnt have any noise or binding.

I am having the same problem with my 2002 Mountaineer. Any suggestion for type of center and rear differential fluid, brand, grade, etc. What additive is the one everybody talks about.

its just a limited slip additive. many diffrent brands make it. crc. lr3 i think. any shop will know what to use. its in a small tube. or pick it up yourself from checker or advanced auto parts for like 10-15 bucks. the rear end fluid should be 75-140w synthic gear lube and the center diff is atf mercon V i think off hand.

Can anybody help explaining how to change the oil in the center and rear differential. Perhaps some pictures and instructions would be great.
One other question what is the transfer case and where is located.
Sorry for my ignorance in this matter.

i dont have any pictures but one you get under the vehicle its not bad. the center diff is pretty close to the center of the vehicle in the dead center of the vehicle. there is two holes one lower to drain the fluid and one higher to add it. use a funnel or a normal oil quart bottle with a cap that tapers down to a small hole. fill til the fluid comes out. in the back its the same thing. large drain plug and smaller fill hole up higher. if you are not comfortable with jumping into it go and buy a repair manual form like chiltons or anyone else who makes one. they help alot for only $20 bucks
hope this gets you started. should take about and hour or two the first time.

I went today to Pep Boys and read one of the books. They had a picture of the rear differential, it did not look too bad.
I could not figure out from the picture what kind of wrenches and sizes were required to open them up. Do you remember what you used.

Is the fluid for the center differential ATF Mercon V.

What is the deal with the transfer case. Is that the same center diff.
Do I need to change that fluid also at 60,000 mls. Type of fluid and where is that located.

Thanks

Anyone have a final fix for the left hand turn noise?
I thought the right hand side wheel bearing in the hub. $200 later, the noise is still there so that was not it. I took the right-side "replaced" hub/bearing and put it on the left. Noise still there. rotated tires, checked air pressure, etc... still have the noise.
Top and bottom ball joints ok. I think it might be a U-joint. It is hard to think all the noise up front might be coming from the rear clutch pack.
Anyone else discover the root cause?
Thanks.

Anyone else discover the root cause?
Thanks.

This will not be much help...but... I ended up selling the truck because I couldn't put up with the various noises and the fact that not even Ford is able to fix them.
Too bad because otherwise I liked it very much.

Noise when turning FIXED!!!

:usa::usa::usa::D:D

Finally, I found the problem, both left side wheel bearings were bad...changed them out..and no..all quiet..no noises...no whines...oh yeah..and btw...i do have the brown wire mod....makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE..rock on!!! :salute::salute:

besafe

~Travis

Brown wire mod, wheel bearings

No, I do not have the brown wire mod. Can someone please direct me to this information? Thank you!
:salute:

Wheel bearings - Even though the problem sound changed drastically with even just the slightest movement of the steering wheel from left to right and back (making me think the issue was up front somewhere), I replaced the left rear wheel (hub/bearing) assembly and it is all fixed! FINALLY.

I replaced the front hub/bearing assembly myself a month ago. Not too bad of a job - just follow the manual line by line and have ALL the tools BEFORE you start. ;) The back assembly I had done at the shop. It requires a 3000 lbs press to get the hub out.

Hope this helps all of you with this strange noise/vibration!

old post I know. But does anyone have part numbers for the wheel bearings??

I am having this problem and it's getting on my nerves so I would like to get it fixed.

While I don't have the part#'s I'd like to warn you that the whole job is more difficult than you think.
I also bought the bearings, they started working on it and came back to say they need to replace the "whole thing" , probably meaning the wheel nuts ets... Total costs estimated 1-2k.
I didn't do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where did you take it????
Sounds like a lot for labor??

In my search for parts I have located Ford Factory Rear Replacements for $160 (each)
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=318
And aftermarkets for $40 (each)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...AX:IT&viewitem=&item=190242024878#ht_2576wt_0
These being both the hub and bearing assembly.
So one is looking at almost $700 in labor for your estimate.

Is there something else that needs to be replaced with them as well that I am missing????

Back