Grinding/thumping while accelerating/turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding/thumping while accelerating/turning

Doctorb98

Reaction score
City, State
Bayonne, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Hey guys...any ideas about...while accelerating from a stop it feels as if something in the front end is grinding and I get like 3 thumps until I hit about 10mph. It does this everytime I accelerate from 0. Most of the time it goes away when i get over 10mph, but sometimes it feels like I'm driving in quick sand...any thoughts/ideas/solutions/similiar situations appreciated...B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this while it is in 4wheel?

This happens to me too, but only while in 4hi, and even then only sometimes(depending on the situation). dry pavement it always happens, sometimes when I actually need the 4hi it doesn't happen. I still haven't solved the problem, but I don't use 4hi very much.. initially I suspected the transfer case, but I don't know what it is now.. In one severe case the sterring wheel locked up and I couldn't move for a while...

try taking it out of 4hi(if you are in it)

if it sounds like its comming from the front wheel... try taking off the automatic hub.... there is a c clip in the bottom of the hub that will sheer off and cause the hub to slide back and forth on the axel causing the wheel to engage and disengage making it really jerky in the front

Originally posted by 94EBexplorer
if it sounds like its comming from the front wheel... try taking off the automatic hub.... there is a c clip in the bottom of the hub that will sheer off and cause the hub to slide back and forth on the axel causing the wheel to engage and disengage making it really jerky in the front

'97's don't have the auto hubs.....

Dr, Are you running it on Auto when this happens? The GEM may need to be reprogrammed, cause it could cause the 4x4 to kick in at low speeds when it shouldn't.

IN auto

Always occurs while in auto...

What is the GEM?

General Electronics Module. It controls all things electrical in your Ex, including 4x4 functions. They do go bad (or come from factory bad - see Phantom Wipers), and sometimes it just needs to be reprogrammed.

Back