Guys sitting on 20s, come in! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Guys sitting on 20s, come in!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So yours are the 10" too? Nice truck BTW!!

no they are 8 inch what size wheels where you going to run

The typical 275/45-20 everyone seems to use. I think with 8.5" wheels that should be fine unless you think the 255/50-20 on the new Explorer's would work better.

it up to you iv got 17 inch on mine and i run30 inch tire put 10inch wheels it give it a diffrent LOOK

im putting 22 or 24 on mine and droping 1.6 inch this is a pic of one with 24s and lowered 1.6
joel6.jpg

I live in FL and drive on a lot of dirt roads for work so I'm stick with 20's. The extra sidewall gives it a better ride anyway. Nice ride though.

i dont drive mine much so the bigger the better no dirt roads for me car show only

Here are my 20's
03Mountaineerwithnewwheels6-7-091.jpg

Those are Sweet!! I keep checking the salvage yards or other places around me hoping someone is dumping a set of those!!

Here are my 20's
03Mountaineerwithnewwheels6-7-091.jpg

I like those wheels a lot. they are from sport trac, correct?

where did you find them? the prices are insane on ebay.

I like the Saleen wheels too but the 2005+ Mustang wheels offset doesn't work on our 3rd Gen vehicles, right?

I like the Saleen wheels too but the 2005+ Mustang wheels offset doesn't work on our 3rd Gen vehicles, right?

thats a good question that i would like to know the answer to also...ive been eye balling a set of saleen 7 spokes 20x9 up front and 20x10 for the rear but i have no idea if they will fit...offset for the 20x9 is +36 and the 20x10 is +45...ive been looking at these for over a year now

I have 20" wheels on my 04 EB 4wd, and I ran Pirelli STR 245/50/20's for a season. They wore well (30,000 miles and still 6-7/32nds tread), but I had an issue with one being out of round. They aren't rated that great on TireRack for snow and ice, but I had EXCELLENT luck with them in 1+ feet of snow in PA for a trip last winter. I would recommend a larger size, probably 255/50/20 or 265/50/20 (I have the latter size on my Explorer now in a different brand tire). Put them on a 8-9" wide wheel and they will fit great. For a 10" wheel, you are going to need a 285-305 section width tire, and if you live in an are with a lot of snow, wider isn't always better. I am even considering a 245/55/20 if I can find them for my next size tire.

thats a good question that i would like to know the answer to also...ive been eye balling a set of saleen 7 spokes 20x9 up front and 20x10 for the rear but i have no idea if they will fit...offset for the 20x9 is +36 and the 20x10 is +45...ive been looking at these for over a year now

Factory wheels on the 3rd gen were 17x7.5 with +45mm offset. Going to a 9" wide wheel, with +45mm offset would give you an extra .75" of wheel each direction, meaning they would be .75" closer to the suspension, and .75" farther out towards the fender. Going to a 9" wheel with +36mm offset would give you a wheel that is .4" closer to the suspension, and 1.1" closer to the fenders. A 10" wheel with +45mm offset would be 1.25" closer to both the suspension and the fenders. There is a bunch of math involved in finding this, which I won't get into here. This also does not take into account the increased diameter of the wheels, going from a 17 to a 20 or 22. It's just to give you an idea of how a wheel will sit in under the vehicle compared to a stock wheel.

I have 20" wheels on my 04 EB 4wd, and I ran Pirelli STR 245/50/20's for a season. They wore well (30,000 miles and still 6-7/32nds tread), but I had an issue with one being out of round. They aren't rated that great on TireRack for snow and ice, but I had EXCELLENT luck with them in 1+ feet of snow in PA for a trip last winter. I would recommend a larger size, probably 255/50/20 or 265/50/20 (I have the latter size on my Explorer now in a different brand tire). Put them on a 8-9" wide wheel and they will fit great. For a 10" wheel, you are going to need a 285-305 section width tire, and if you live in an are with a lot of snow, wider isn't always better. I am even considering a 245/55/20 if I can find them for my next size tire.

I have 275/45/20 Hankook Ventus ST RH06 that I just purchased to replaced my worn Goodyear Eagle GTII's and so far they are great! Well priced tire($156 each installed) that has a 50,000 mile warranty. We'll see this winter how they do in the snow...

Great thread for some pics of 20's.

Today I saw a 3rd gen with 20's and 275/45/20, looked good. I guess this tire size is popular.

Here is my 2003 Limited with Boss wheels.
5df6e4f2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice ride 25Horseplay. I cannot wait until this summer after my wedding to look for some Boss 20s!!

Keep up the good work!!

Back