Hall effect speed sensors- HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hall effect speed sensors- HELP

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Need to replace one of the hall effect speed sensors on my 95 Explorer XLT. (4wd/4wdlow lights blink 6 times). I called a number of local dealers to locate the part. Most deals had no idea what sensor I was talking about and quoted me the price on the speed sensor (gear driven speedometer sensor). Two of them did seam to have a clue but they gave me 2 different part numbers and prices for the front or rear sensors. Prices were $68.00 for the rear and $77.00 for the font at one place and $50/rear and $61/front at another.

Most treads I read on the hall effect speed sensors seam to give a price of around $30.00 witch makes me wander if they are quoting me for the right part. One of them game me a part # 7M101 (rear) Is this right? And are they two different parts for the front & rear axle? If so is there a way to test or proceeder to find which is defective?

Not sure on the part number but you could always remove the sensor and then bring it in -- then you can match yours to whatever they have.

I have no clue on the prices but it sounds like they gave you quotes on ABS sensors, not the 4x4 sensors in the transfer case. I think one or both of the sensors was was eliminated and the ABS sensors were used in more recent years. That may be the confusion with the dealer. Hell, most dealer parts guys ask me 2 or 4WD when I am looking for a front axle halfshaft seal.

I have spares of the sensors you need but they are on a shelf in the garage that requires a ladder and I am too polluted at this hour to get a pic. Look in Glacier's 4405 rebuild thread, I think there are pics in there.

Check WWW.FastPartsNetwork.Com. Here's a picture of a Hall Effect sensor
abs530780-2.jpg

Back