Halo projector fog lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Halo projector fog lights

Guys,

Just got a pair of those aftermarket halo projector fog lights for my '02 Explorer.

They look nice, are marked with the SAE and DOT stamps in the glass and so far seem to be of a good quality.

They're all over eBay. If you type in "halo" and "explorer," they'll come up.

Now a gripe to get out of the way. It took me a month to get these! I let my Paypal account lapse over a year ago because of all the horror stories and the Federal investigations into their practices. I prefer to pay by USPS money order.

I don't know what it is about these sellers of Japanese, Chinese and Taiwanese auto parts, but they insist on treating USPS money orders like an out-of-state personal check, indicating that it must first "clear" the bank before the item is sent.

As a lot of them have post office boxes for their mailing addresses, why they just don't open the envelopes in the post office and walk the few steps to the counter to get the cash is absolutely beyond me. I've tried in the past to explain that a USPS money order can be cashed immediately at the post office or a bank, but to no avail. Oftentimes, the sellers of these products have limited English ability and I suspect that they are not aware that a USPS money order is not a personal check.

So after the USPS money order "cleared," I received an email indicating that my items will ship "shortly" and that took about a week before the seller got around to it...

I suspect that many times, eBay sellers such as these may not even have the items they're selling but purchase them from overseas upon receiving payment and then resell them.

OK, getting back to the fog lights... After I examined them, I hooked one up to a 12v power supply to check out the halo ring. There are a pair of wires, one black, one red. Naturally, the red wire will go to the parking light + and the black to the parking light - or to a ground point somewhere else.

Regarding the halo, it's illuminated with a pair of T-1¾ 5mm white LEDs. These LEDs are the type of white LEDs that have a distinct purplish/bluish white glow to them, much like very purplish fluorescent lighting. The nature of the serrated halo seems to bring out that purple/blue element of the light.

Being that I will have to occasionally drive my Explorer to Pennsylvania where citation-happy police constantly patrol on the lookout for illegal "ornamental lighting" (and that's ANY lighting that is non-original to the vehicle, trust me, I checked with the appropriate agency in Harrisburg), I can see where this blue/purple light could be problematic. Police in PA also don't like to see anything but amber up front and red in the rear. Blue? That's definitely asking to get your wallet lightened.

So, I'm going to take a drive up to Radio Shack and get some white LEDs. The white LEDs sold at Radio Shack are of a whiter light and their LEDs are also rather bright, and are of a higher mcd.

I've considered ordering several different batches of LEDs from Mouser Electronics and testing them out for the most aesthetically pleasing white that doesn't go too far into the blue range. I may still do this.

As I am sure some of you know, white LEDs are actually blue LEDs with phosphors added to provide the white light. This is why they have varying degrees of the bluish tint.

The LEDs are removed by pulling out a rectangular white rubber grommet. They are obviously soldered to resistors, which in turn are soldered to the wires and then covered with shrinkwrap. It would be a simple matter to replace the LEDs. If one desires, one could also experiment with the resistor value in order to get varying degrees of brightness.

You might also experiment with different color LEDs if you can get away with that sort of thing in your jurisdiction. Radio Shack has all manner of colors — you could go crazy and use pink LEDs... :confused:

It might be possible to also insert two T-1 3mm LEDs in place of the T-1¾. This way, you could get a composite color of sorts, say by using blue and white LEDs side by side to get a cool blue/white glow.

I will add that while the grommet is tight, I am going to add silicone around the grommet so that moisture won't seep into the halo and cause the LED leads to rust.

Stay tuned. Photos to follow.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you install those lights you better seal em up good with silicone...thats all im sayin.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I did mention that in my first post:

I will add that while the grommet is tight, I am going to add silicone around the grommet so that moisture won't seep into the halo and cause the LED leads to rust.

I'll also be adding silicone around other points on the lights as well as and the end of the shrinkwrap on the pair of red and black wires.

waiting

Same here... Long story short, just wasn't able to get to it at all.

I may have a window of time this Saturday morning. Then we have different folks staying with us the next several weekends. This is the time of the year that it gets to be like Motel 6 here... :(

Update: OK, got to tinkering with them yesterday. I wanted to put silicone on the obvious areas in which moisture can seep in and so, disassembled one lamp.

And there is a problem: The portion of the lamp with the halo, this part has a rubber washer or ring around it that secures it into the lamp housing. I fiddled with this for a few hours attempting to get it back into place and with no success. It's just too tight a fit to successfully reinsert the halo into the housing.

So, what I had to do was take a knife and break the seal around the front glass lens on the housing. I carefully pried it up and it came off without too much trouble.

It would seem that the housing is tapered on the inside as I was easily able to replace the rubber ring from the front. (I hope this makes sense. I might've taken photos, but spent enough time playing with this as it was.)

Then came the task of cleaning up the old silicone, which took at least an hour to remove. Windex-ed the front and back of the glass, put down a new bead of black silicone, replaced the glass, it's now dry and tight.

I put silicone on the second lamp, but having learned my lesson, did not completely disassemble so that it would have to go through another few hours of the same procedure.

Bulb is an H3. Screws are really tight and difficult to turn in order to access the bulb. Might be smart to put some oil or WD-40 on the screws and holes, because, if it rusts (and it probably will), drilling out the screws is probably going to be what it's going to take in order to change the bulb...

Finished installing the lights this morning... Don't know what it is, but seems like any stupid little thing that can happen to complicate matters will happen. :confused:

As it turned out, upon disassembling and reassembling one lamp, I'd reinserted the metal "eyelid" or shade in the lamp upside down. I had placed it on top, but because this is a projector lamp, it needs to be on the bottom.

So, I then had to remove the lamp, disassemble it and then reinstall it, which isn't the easiest thing to do (More about that in a minute).

I checked to see if the lamp was projecting the correct semicircle of light by holding up a large square of white cardboard. Correctly installed, the "eyelid" within the lamp cuts off the top of the light very neatly and distinctly.

I also greased the screws on the back of the lamp with white graphite grease. The H3 bulb's hot wire hangs out of the lamp and inserts into a connector with clear vinyl insulation. Changing bulbs is going to be a total pain in the ... neck, as the two tiny screws need to be removed from the back of the lamp. Furthermore, I thought of changing the bulbs, but thought better of it as the Phillips screws that secures the ground wire against the lamp housing and bulb are so tight that I ran a danger of stripping the Phillips screws. I'm probably going to have to drill the screw out... :thumbdwn: :(

Installing the lamp on the passenger side is difficult as the window washer fluid resevoir is in the way and does not permit putting a normal driver in there. I had to use a flexible extender and fish around with my fingers, trying to get the 7mm socket in place.

I also applied silicone to where the wires for the H3 bulb entered the housing.

The halo or angel eye ring has the LEDs to illuminate it as indicated. There are two wires, one red, one black. I extended each wire by soldering a longer length of the appropriate color wire and applied shrinkwrap.

I brought the wires up and through to the wedge lights. The + red wire was spliced to the brown wire on the parking light/turn signal bulb connector. The - black wire was spliced to the black wire on the parking light/turn signal bulb connector. I used those crimping wire splices. You'll have to trim back a little more than an inch from the loom covering the three wires leading to the bulb.

I tested it and the LEDs look rather dim, but it was daylight and it should be noted that the LEDs are actually providing an indirect lighting. In any case, I got to wondering if it was a full 12v that's provided to the parking light... So I got my multimeter out and tested the voltage to the parking light. It's a 13.82 volts.

So obviously I need to wait until tonight to check out the brightness of the halos.

I'll take and post photos when I am able.

:salute:

Hey guys, was out of town on business, but back now. I promise I'll post pics in a day or two. In the meantime, I have a question and request for help I hope you all will be kind enough to help me with. Check for it in my other thread I'm starting...

OK, here's a photo, nothing great. I just shot it to send to Bores as described in my other Performance Lighting thread. I'll get some night shots up soon.

XLT0003.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

Thats what mine look like with 3000k HIDs in em.

How did you do that? I'm really intrigued!

Was simple, the projectors take a H3 bulb...so i picked up H3 HIDs that are 3000k...and thats the result.

OK, so it's just an "HID Look" bulb. I thought you meant you installed an actual HID kit with ballasts, etc...

It is...i sell HID kits man...just not on here...its H3 HIDs...not a HID Look Bulb.

can u tell me exactly where u bought these from off ebay? are there anymore for sale like that? i want a pair for my 04 ex

I just typed in "halo" and "Ford Explorer" in the eBay search field. That's it.

Back