Handling/Steering issue 2013 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Handling/Steering issue 2013 Explorer Limited

AlienInferno

Reaction score
City, State
Cleburne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
Hi guys,
Looking for help and a sort of second opinion. I have a 2013 Explorer. About a month ago the steering rack started making some god awful noise while turning so we took it in to get fixed. Ended up getting the steering rack replaced, the alternator replaced (it was going bad), a new battery, new front lower control arms, new front rotors and pads, and an alignment.

That seemed like it fixed our issue and the car drove fine.

Now we've got a new problem. I noticed a few days ago that the steering wheel is slightly turned to the right to drive straight down the road. "OK. It's whatever". The problem, that I found, was that when accelerating from a stop (like at a stop sign) or making a turn, the steering wheel ends up being turned slightly to the left to go straight. And when you let off the gas you hear a noise (that I can't really describe. Not a clunk. It's kind of a grinding noise) like the wheels are catching up to the steering and the explorer shoots off to the left. You turn right to correct, and you now *keep from crashing*, and the steering wheel is aligned to the right again and driving straight. Until you turn again or take off from a start, then it starts over again.

The shop we had all the previous work done at (from my wife describing the issue) thinks it could be the struts. My question is do y'all think it could be the struts causing this steering issue and the car jerking to the left. It will occasionally jerk to the right but 99% of the time it's been to the left if that matters. And if not the struts what could it be.

Welcome to the Forum.
Not being a mechanic, I rely on Internet searches for some issues. This article mentions a few things that might cause the misalignment.
My take on it is if there were no issues before all the work was done then I'd take another look at the work that was performed. A bad alignment can cause the steering wheel to be off-center. I would have the alignment rechecked.

Peter :wave:

Got it figured out. Nut on the driver side LCA came loose. Tightened it down and drove it around the block. Issues were gone. Nut did loosen up again though. Original repair place blames a faulty part and is ordering another LCA for driver side.

Thank you for the follow-up.

Peter

Back