Hard Starting

DirtyDog

I will not!
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Sport
When I try to start my X it doesn't start till the 3rd try. Well very rarely will it start before the 3rd try. I'm not getting a CEL or any codes. I've replaced the EGR valve, EGR purge selanoid, and the AIC because I was getting a code for EGR system but it was a while ago and I don't remember what the code was. I also cleaned the MAF sensor The EGR purge selanoid helped a bit but still no go. Any ideas?

Anyone please???

Well, I have a 99 V8 that was a hard starter. Turned out to be a fuel injector with a leak. When your truck sits overnite, it loses fuel pressure as the injector leaks.

Pull your plugs and see how they look. A bad injector usually results in a lot of cr*p on the plug, while the rest will look normal. Not a bad time for plugs if its been awhile.

If you suspect a bad injector, put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if you are getting good fuel pressure. Test it while running to see operating pressure, and leave it attached overnite to see what the pressure drops to by morning.

Fuel, air, spark.

Mine did the exact same thing. Once in a while it wouldn't start, and then all of a sudden it would. Had a mind of it's own. Didn't idle worth a sh.t half the time either. No codes, tried all the above, tried the fuel pressure regulator, nothing. One day the truck died and I got it towed home. Did a fuel pressure test. Only a little. Changed the filter, only a little better pressure. I could here the pump though?? I said f..k it and changed the pump. The truck hasen't skipped a beat since. So, my guess would be the fuel pump or possibly the regulator. Check your fuel pressure. Must be at least 35-45 psi.If that checks out ok then it's most likely your fuel pressure regulator. Good luck.
Peace
:ca: :smoke: :ca:

Back