Harmonic Balancer Separation 2.0 Ecoboost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Harmonic Balancer Separation 2.0 Ecoboost

gatzdon

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Exp XLS 4WD V6 OHV
I have a 2012 Explorer Limited with 2.0 Ecoboost.

The outer sleeve of the harmonic balancer completely separated and slid off. Luckily it happened in a parking lot and I found the other sleeve right underneath so it didn't cause any more damage.

I'm hoping to get thoughts and input on what to do next.

I'm guessing that the crankshaft seal should be changed at the same time.

The engine runs normal again (lost some power while it was sliding off before realizing what was happening), so hoping this is a sign that the only damage caused is to the belt. The teeth on the backside look to be fully intact.

Does anyone have info on how to align the harmonic balancer before removing it?

Is there enough room to get a power in there, or do I need to brace for removing stuff out of the way?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PXL_20230730_150617597.jpg

PXL_20230730_050059476.jpg

I guess the Ecoboost isn't common enough to get a reply.

I was on the road, so at the mercy of a mechanic that could work on it right away. They said the Ford procedure required the valve cover removed and the timing to be verified, even though the crack position sensor was not affected. 4.5 hours labor. I had them change the crank shaft oil seal while they had it apart.

The engine only has 140,000 miles on it. I have since put a thousand miles on it and I think the mileage has improved (could be coincidence, could be the timing adjustment).

For those that are wondering, remove the wheel and the splash shields (under and wheel well) and the harmonic balancer is very accessible to get a puller on it. You do have to remove the tensioner to get the belt off (likely kept my belt from slipping off allowing me to drive to a nearby mechanic).

Enjoy

PXL_20230801_184320882.jpg

Back