Hartman's front suspension upgrades! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hartman's front suspension upgrades!

Hokie said:
Did you do a 2wd spindle swap like Hartman?

Is it possible to drive on a 4x4 spindle without the cv in there? I wouldn't think it would be.

I'm pretty sure Jefe did that for a while. He made some special super-duper clips or something. :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hokie said:
Did you do a 2wd spindle swap like Hartman?

Is it possible to drive on a 4x4 spindle without the cv in there? I wouldn't think it would be.
No, but you can take apart the outer CV and just use the 'cup' to hold the hub together. I ran that way for a good 6 months before the SAS.

I could have done it that way but I opted to swap in 2WD spindles because of ease of maintanence and low cost of parts.

Well I'm more than half way thru this. I got all of the suspension taken out on both sides, both the CVs out, and I've got 2 of the 3 bolts for the axle out. I had to run inside to see where the 3rd one was (used Jefes writeup pics). Haven't run into any major problems, but I will admit I struggled a bit with the first 2 bolts on the axle due to little clearance.

I expect to start installing the 2WD spindles in an hour or two.

WOW what a day. Even though my back and knees are killing me from kneeling all day, everything went pretty smooth. I got the axle and front driveshaft out with little trouble. I got the drivers side suspension done, except for shocks which I'm repainting tomorrow. I will do the passenger side tomorrow. The only mishaps so far are the upper control arm cam bolts, which are a pain because there is very little room for the bolt to come out because of brake lines that run behind there. Other pain is the dustcap on the spindle. Yes, I said it, the damn dustcap. I can't get the thing on for the life of me. Really pathetic that getting the dustcap on is my biggest issue, but I'm thankful for it.

Most of the 4WD stuff removed
7134IM001174.jpg

No more front axle
7134IM001177.jpg

Spindle, rotors, and caliper installed
7134IM001183.jpg

Check out how smooth the caliper is. I smoothed it out with a grinder before painting. I wasn't sure how I'd like the 2-tone caliper, but now that it's installed, I'm really glad I did it.
7134IM001184.jpg

7134IM001185.jpg

I'll post more updates tomorrow as I finish this up.

Wow, looks lie kyou got alot done, keep up the good work.!!! :thumbsup:

also i relaly liek that 2-toen Bracke caliper, i think it will look really good, and even nikce that you smoothed it out!!!!

sounds like you have a better deal with removing your drive axel than my dad did with his dodge. both the engine and the drive axel were on the same mount and you had to remove both to take either off.
Good Luck

That looks great. Glad you didn't have any major problems. 2wd rules :thumbsup:

Wait a second, I have 4wd drive. I wish i had 2wd though. No sense in it until winter comes and I need to go up 30 degree slopes covered in snow. :D

Finally done. I got everything in and it's working great. Tomorrow I'm scheduled for an alignment, and boy do I need it. My tires are like 5 degrees off camber LOL. I will have pics after I get my 20s back on, had to put the stockers on for the alignment.

Hartman said:
First, my truck is a 4WD, so the CV axles are getting to their breaking point.

Looks great!

Whats funny is when I bought Boomin's X i was planning on hitting up Section for his spindles and doing the same thing as this... I reckon' you beat me to it :thumbsup:

you know I never thought about it like this but you could use the 4wd low switch as a burnout switch. Just pop her into low and let em rip.

wow ive dun that by disengagin my front hubs on my x but i never though about what the transfer case would be useful for on hartmans truck (unless he hooked on some kind of a trailer to the front of his truck like a tractor and had 4 wheel drive again)

I'd go with a prop to get a little extra seat-of-the-pants feel.

I got an alignment on Tuesday. After being jerked around by one alignment shop, I found another that is closer to my house and they are much better. I was able to get an alignment for $55, which I thought was a great deal. They even warrantied it. So far, everything is working great.

Back