Has anyone put a bw13-54 t-case into a 3rd gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone put a bw13-54 t-case into a 3rd gen?

Mr. Truckles

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone's decided to swap there 44-11s out for a 13-54? I'm asking because I'm having yet another problem with the electro-mag clutch in my current 44-11, and good 13-54s seem to be a dime a dozen on junkyard trucks with tranny problems around me.

My main concerns are:
-The bolt pattern on a 5R55W trans compared to a 5R55E.
-Problems with the ABS/existing systems with the 44-11 absent
-T-case mounting

I'm sure the flanges would need to be switched, and either a manual setup or a electric shift motor circuit would need to me made, but that's not my biggest concern really since they have already been addressed on other threads.

My ex is an early build 2002 xlt 4dr. Looking forward to some nice responses! My buddy on the forums, albi1cnobi1, swapped one into his 2nd gen 44-05 mounty and it really came out nice. I would love to do something similar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope someone knows, I have access to a manual shift 1354 that I would love to put in my Explorer if I knew it would fit.

Nice! Someone on here does I'm sure. I really do like the auto4 for driving in variable snowy conditions on the road, but I love the simplicity of a case not controlled by a computer. Btw, does anyone know if a 2001 sport came with a 1354? My buddy's ill fated '01 sport had a 2wd-4hi-4loplorer case, but every other sport I have seen has an auto4 case.

If I remember right the guy from northern Russia (Krakassia or something like that) in here about a year ago had a manual transfer case. He showed up and posted a bunch of pics of his ex in frozen over hell then just disappeared. They were in the 3rd gen pics thread. Maybe you can scroll back through and find them to PM him?

Hmm, yeah I may need to do some digging and find those. I'm surprised more people haven't done it, I know a ton of people with 2nd gens have. Anyone know the major differences between a 4404 and a 4411? I know the general functionality is similar.

You could go with an awd case too, they are mechanical run just by a viscous clutch, there's no electrical to them either.

Yeah that's another idea. The one in the mounty has never failed, and there would be no need for any linkage. But 2wd and low range are nice to have on the other hand.

Yall know the bolt pattern/mount between trans and 4411/1354 are night and day different???
I will sign over my x if someone can prove me wrong(ive had both in my hands personally and they have little similarities minus the bw and a very few internals.....

Major differences include how it bolts to trans.....1354 is kinda round vs an oval/square....

Bottom line, you'd need custom adapters for sure....
I put a planetary from a 4406(6 gears instead of 4) in my 4411 and had to also change the Input shaft to match my trans...(def diff spline count...)

if you were hellbent for some reason to do this you'd be better off swapping in a old ass trans...all of tthis sounds I lil silly... The 4411 can be upgraded(done)and is just better especially when the 5r has a unique bolt pattern...........
if you want to piss away money, attempt this swap, dual SAS, give it to me and save yourself the hassle....

Wills

Your running a 6 speed now by switching the planetary and the input shaft?? Did you have to do a tune so computer knows its a 6 speed??

Im curious because i would like the extra gears in mine so i could run down the highway at lower rpm's hopefully gaining some mpg.

I have always wondered about swapping a tranny out of the 4th gen into my 3rd gen to get the 6 speed tranny but never did too much research on it.

Back