Hatch alignment instructions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hatch alignment instructions?

I'm not sure how perfect your trying to get it. I've never removed mine and its not perfectly lined up. A few times I thought my hatch was slightly open but that is how it lines up when closed. Also are you using OEM struts. Cause I tried to put some stiffer struts on mine and it was too strong it literally pushed the hinges upward and would not let the latch line up to shut.

My initial problem was that the bottom of the hatch was off to the left, so it wouldn't latch. I figured I would just loosen a few bolts and bring it back around. I ended up getting in all kinds of trouble with the top of the hatch catching the roofline, latches not unlatching, and time running out as I really needed the hatch to function for the rest of what I had planned that day.

I eventually got it back to the way it was, just misaligned at the bottom left. Then, I am not proud to say, I took a 10 foot pipe and pried the hatch until it lined up correctly. I'm a procedures guy, but at least it works now. The hatch is still running high by about 1/2" but I may have bent up the upper lip of the hatch, and I may continue my Flintstone repair methods with a rubber mallet. My latching isn't that great but my striker pins are in pretty bad shape. I'll replace those next week and see what happens.

Sometimes a mallet or pry bar gets the job done! I always say if all else fails use a hammer...

That rear hatch is heavy mutha without those struts. I unhooked one side strut thinking the hatch would still stay up. That sucker dropped on my head like rock!! it didn't feel so good...

Back