Have an '02 EB, need 3 rows, buy 2005 or 2006? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have an '02 EB, need 3 rows, buy 2005 or 2006?

canuckjgc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ex V6
I have an '02 EB with about 90k miles purchased from previous owner who had put a new trans in it. No issues with the truck.

I need 3 rows. Should I buy a 2005 or the 2006? I want the V8 this time. The 2005 is a fair bit cheaper in our market than the 2006.

Does the 2006 offer a lot more than the 2005? I think the 2006 has the 6 spd trans - is it any better?

I find there are so few choices in mid-size body on frame 3 row SUV's. Basically the Trailblazer/Envoy, Pathfinder, and Explorer (the exotics look too costly to fix). The Pathfinder has had its share of issues as well and doesn't ride as nice as the IRS Explorer.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, dont get a explorer. Just replaced my trans at 88k, my friend with an 04 at 90k, and another friend with a 03 at 83k. All of us the same month. I have owned two explorers..I just added repair bills from both and they totalled 10,000 in 3.5 years. I absolutely LOVE my explorer...but sorry ford..this is my last vehicle built by you.

Also, I have third row. In my opinion 2 small kids could fit back there, or one adult laying across the seat like a sofa (which is actually very comfy lol) For anyone tall, or above 5' your knees are almost hitting your chin

I was comfortable in the 3rd row of my explorer and im 5'10. I would go with the 05 simply because the middle row can be folded independently, unlike the 06 which is 60/40

we have an '04 with 3rd row, most of the time we don't use it but a couple of times a year it becomes essential when we need too, it will fit 2 more people. I've sat back there, its doable, but i won't want to spend more than 1-2 hours back there. . .for the kids its great, add the DVD player and you will have a nice and quiet trip with the kids (priceless)

'05- similar to your '02, somethings greatly improved, others not so much.
'06-added the 3v-v8 (sweet), 6spd (nice too), tweaked suspension, stiffer frame, 4th Gen.

I have a 2005 EB with the 3rd row. I don't use it that much but when I do people don't complain at all. I like the ability to have the 3rd row. I've had couple of my buddies sit back there for 1 1/2hours on road trips. I'm glad I got the V6. 40% city/60% highway I get average 15.6MPG. I bought the vehicle with 58K with a rebuilt transmission. Only put on 20K, but have been trouble free.

I am also averaging in the mid 15's with the V8 and that is on 31.5" tires. The 6 speed and gears equal the fuel economy between the 6 and 8. With the '06 you will get away from the cracking tailgate that so many complain about and into the trans that needs to be programmed to rid it of bump stop. Once mine was programmed correctly I have not had any problems.

Back