Headlight not working...need help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight not working...need help please

Tommypl77

Reaction score
City, State
West Palm Beach Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer L
Rookie here...2012 Limited....need some help. While I was trying to install LED fog light bulbs the right halogen headlight went off. Checked the fuses inside and under the hood, all good. Also checked another 9005 bulb....still not working. What else can cause the headlight not working ? The left one works on low and high beam no problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How can I fix it ? Could ground go bad because I switched fog light bulbs ?? I honestly thought it was just a fuse but they all good

Check the BCM for codes before pressing further.

You'll also need a digital volt/ohm meter if you want to trouble shoot this out.

It could be something as simple as a plug that cam loose but is still plugged together but not making contact that you bumped.

No codes.....to me seems like it's a fuse because it stopped working when I was playing with fog lights. I checked all the fuses and they good....I'm lost lol

The wiring diagrams that I have access to don't have anything for a 2012 but do for the 2013. They show a fuse for the left and a fuse for the right headlamps. Did you check the fuses with a meter to make sure that they were good?

Here is a link to the diagram for a 2013.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1009120

Both fuses for both headlights are good, they are in the inside fuse compartment and I checked them twice today, and thank you

When you say Right headlight you mean passenger side? Starboard?

Also, swap headlight bulbs and see if it follows the bulb or the side.

Yes passenger headlight stopped working when I was messing with fog lights. Fuses checked. I also swap the headlight bulbs....still not working. The left driver side is working perfect

The ground wire is right behind the right hand headlight. This ground is also used by the engine cooling fan and the rh fog light. Fog light working?

Both fog lights are working, I did checked the ground after on if the comments. Thank you again for all your help and advice

Could have broken a wire during the process or pulled a terminal out. Got a multimeter?

OK I checked the power on the harness going to both headlights. The one that work properly the harness is sending 12V on both lines(one for low and one for high beam I guess)
The one that is not working power comes only for the high beam line but not for the low (light not working at all, no low no high beam).
Is there only one fuse for the each headlight on the 2012 Explorer ? I'm thinking there might be another fuse ?

Check fuse F16 (10A) except this time make sure you get 12 bolts on each side.

16 and 17 are both good......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you four help......but I think I have different fuse box than the one is on your link. Fuses for the headlights are in the interior fuse compartment.....
That is the interior fuse compartment.

Back