Headlight not working...need help please | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight not working...need help please

That is the interior fuse compartment.

Mine looks smaller, I don't know how to
Post a picture but it looks exactly like the one in 2012 explorer online manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you four help......but I think I have different fuse box than the one is on your link. Fuses for the headlights are in the interior fuse compartment.....
Doing a quick comparison between what sheltonfilms' link shows and your fuse layout in the 2012 Manual, they seem to be the same fuses except for a bit of a difference in the wording.

Peter

That's how they look in my car, inside and outside

Ok I see it now....yes the fuse compartment looks the same, I was just confused about the part on the right side of the fuse box. I will go check it just in a few minutes. Will keep you post it and thank you for your help !

Also check for 12v when the headlights are on at pin 1 (blue/green stripe) on connector 2280E at the dash fuse box.

See diagram for connector:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=874969

Ok I see the connector, what 2 wires I should check for the 12v ? I see the blue green wire. Sorry if this is dumb question, I'm not an electrician lol
Ok I see the connector, what 2 wires I should check for the 12v ? I see the blue green wire. Sorry if this is dumb question, I'm not an electrician lol

I double checked the fuses, your diagram mention headlight in couple different fuses so I checked them as well, they are good. Need some help with the connector wires please, the one you mention to check for 12v. I see the blue green wire but what other wire I should check ? Thank you again

I double checked the fuses, your diagram mention headlight in couple different fuses so I checked them as well, they are good. Need some help with the connector wires please, the one you mention to check for 12v. I see the blue green wire but what other wire I should check ? Thank you again

Put one lead on the blue green wire and the other lead on a good ground. The outer ring of the 12v port/cigarette lighter would be good, may have to have someone hold the other one in place.

Put one lead on the blue green wire and the other lead on a good ground. The outer ring of the 12v port/cigarette lighter would be good, may have to have someone hold the other one in place.

Ok thank you I will try it again in a few minutes, not an easy access there lol. Thank you again

Sheltonfilms, I'm getting 12V on the connector......any ideas what can be wrong ? I appreciate your help and suggestions

If you get 12v at the fuse box and nothing at the headlight connector you have a broken wire. That wire runs from the fuse box, through the firewall, around the left fender through the front and over to the headlight with no other connections.

If it was working before you messed around with the fog lights I would say you have a break near the headlight connector.

You can get an idea of where the break is by measuring voltage at the headlight connector and wiggling the wire harness along the way back to the firewall. When ever your meter reads voltage (wire reconnects) is where you should start digging into the harness.

But Before this, go to the headlight connector and get the harness relatively straight and pull on the blue wire. If the break is near the connector it will pull right out of the harness. Don't pull too hard that you break it more.

If you get 12v at the fuse box and nothing at the headlight connector you have a broken wire. That wire runs from the fuse box, through the firewall, around the left fender through the front and over to the headlight with no other connections.

If it was working before you messed around with the fog lights I would say you have a break near the headlight connector.

You can get an idea of where the break is by measuring voltage at the headlight connector and wiggling the wire harness along the way back to the firewall. When ever your meter reads voltage (wire reconnects) is where you should start digging into the harness.

But Before this, go to the headlight connector and get the harness relatively straight and pull on the blue wire. If the break is near the connector it will pull right out of the harness. Don't pull too hard that you break it more.

Thank you again. I checked the power at the headlight connector and shows 12V when I pin the blue green wire and first wire (connector hole) on the left side of the connector. There are 4 wires/holes in the connector. If I'm not mistaking the first 2 are for high beam and 3rd (blue green Wire) and 4th for low beam. The only way I get power is by measuring wire/hole 1 with wire/hole 3. Not sure if I'm explaining it right, hope it makes sense.

Need to measure at the blue wire and ground for voltage. Low beam uses the blue wire a d the black directly next to it.

Need to measure at the blue wire and ground for voltage. Low beam uses the blue wire a d the black directly next to it.

Ok I think we are getting somewhere lol. I follow your advice:

When I measure power at the headlight bulb connector (brown and black wire) I don't get any power but when I measure brown wire only and touch a ground it shows me 12v . When I do the same with the working headlight and touch both wires I have power coming out of the connector.

Bad ground ?

Just to add, I connected the bulb and run a simple wire from the black wire at the connector to the ground and it works ! How do I fix it properly ?

Thanks

What does the ground behind the rh headlight look like? It's bolted to the body.

What does the ground behind the rh headlight look like? It's bolted to the body.

You mean the wire screwed to the fender support ? Yes it's connected with screw

Set your meter to resistance and check what the resistance is between that lug and the black wire in question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue but on the drivers side. Zero power at the headlight harness, ground is good, fuses tested.

Back