• Register Today It's free!

Headlight question

radgto

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
Hi all, I have a headlamp issue and have used the search to see if it's been discussed here before but didn't find my exact issue.

It started as a dim headlamp on the drivers side, happened once in a while. Then it moved to the passenger side and the drivers was bright again.

Now last night I had no headlamps and the bright light switch wont turn off. It has parking lamps on, just no headlights. I checked the fuses and the bulbs.

It's a 1998 Eddie Bauer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your LOM module is broken... lots of post, some people fix (handy with solder), others replace (got money...:) )

Thanks!

I thought it was either that or the turn signal switch but wanted to make sure.

I'll probably do the bypass thing.

Thank you again.

You may want to check that hi beam turn signal assembly- that was my problem the first time I had light issues.

You may want to check that hi beam turn signal assembly- that was my problem the first time I had light issues.

That would be my first guess. I'm relatively sure that the 1998 does not have the LOM (1997 was the last year).

Yeah, I discovered it didn't have the LOM. I took out the multifunction switch and ordered a new one.

I guess I'll know if that's the problem in a couple days.

Thanks for the help.

Well, I replaced the turn signal/multi function switch and still the same problem.

Bright light idiot light is on and no headlights at all, no high or low, only parking lights. I checked the bulbs and fuses also.

Any ideas?

You wouldn't happen to have drl's? :)

PS... how did you find out that you didn't have a LOM?.... :) .... I wonder if there is an "onion" here.... :)

I have fuses for DRL and tried pulling them according to other threads but nothing happened. I'm not sure it actually has DRL as I've never seen them on in the 2 years I've owned it.

I also tried unplugging my mirror with the slide switch, nothing happened.

I discovered I didn't have the LOM when I looking for it in the center counsel, I don't have the LOM or the wiring for it. I guess from what I read here my 1998 is the transition year. A few have it but most do not.

I really don't have extra cash for the dealership so I'm trying to exhaust all options here first.

Thanks.

I have fuses for DRL and tried pulling them according to other threads but nothing happened. I'm not sure it actually has DRL as I've never seen them on in the 2 years I've owned it.

I also tried unplugging my mirror with the slide switch, nothing happened.

I discovered I didn't have the LOM when I looking for it in the center counsel, I don't have the LOM or the wiring for it. I guess from what I read here my 1998 is the transition year. A few have it but most do not.

I really don't have extra cash for the dealership so I'm trying to exhaust all options here first.

Thanks.

Sometimes the issue is the plug or the wires that go into the MFS, rather than the switch itself. Does the problem change when you move the tilt on the steering wheel?? Also, sometimes the headlight switch itself goes bad; there have been cases where the headlight switch gets hot and partially melts.

Fixed!

It ended up being a slightly melted connector on the passenger side bulb.

I had it off in the beginning and didn't even notice it.

Thanks for the help and I hope this thread helps anyone with a similar problem.

I have the same problem. My drivers light will be dim, and the bright light indicator light on the dash will be slightly on and dim. A couple of minutes into driving it usually goes bright again.... I need to check my connectors and see whats going on. When I get out of my truck I always lift the steering wheel to get out easier. Maybe it is a tilt/wiring issue? HELP PLEASE!

Back