Heater fan noise on #4 setting? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater fan noise on #4 setting?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
The heater fan on my 2002 XLT is louder than expected, but bearable until i turn it up to #4, full balst. I get a very loud vibration in with the normal fan noise. Anyone else see this problem? I rarely use the #4 setting but it'sbeginning to bother me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im started having the exact some problem today on my '06 EB. The further I turn it up the louder the noise gets. It appears to be coming from somehwere in the upper middle part of the console.

Mine seems like the motor speeds are 1, 2, 3, then 10. It is very noisy when set on hi, can't really have a conversation or listen to the radio comfortably, but it does cool the cabin down fast. You guys might have a blower motor that is unbalanced or maybe something has fallen down inside the housing. Take the blower motor out and check it out. It's easy on the Gen 3s, don't know about that 2006. Right up under the dash on the passenger side.

WindowClipping2.jpg

New fans are not expensive it if turns out to need to be replaced. Rockauto.com has them for $31.79 for the 2002.

rrgone,

Thanks so much for the help.

Some years ago I stored the truck in a friend garage for about 6 months, turns out they had a mouse problem. They had made a nest in the air filter compartment, I cleaned it out and they came back, cleaned again and thought they had gone for good. Turns out there were some leftover acorn hulls in the fan box, I cleaned them out and the fan is back to it's normal, albeit loud, #4 operation. Took about 10 minutes to do.

Now if I can only find a way to keep the damn mice out. I've heard that once they get in they keep coming back by the scent.I now have cinnamon sticks under my hood, been told they repel mice.

Thanks again for the help, especially the diagram.

Rob

You could always try mothballs

My Dad asked where he could find some info on his blower motor on the web without paying for a subscription to a site . . .

He has an 93 F250 Diesel, I think this may be part of the issue, but I cannot remember if any of the lower settings work. Mice sounds like a very reasonable reason for the way it is acting up.

He seems to think he will wait for the gas prices to go down before he fills up again (last year it was when they went up $2, this year they are going up again and he hasn't filled it since last fall)

Back