Heddman Headers

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
people tell me they suck, why do they suck? Are explorers stock exhaust manifold restricive? Like I want to open my exhaust up, because right now i have hollowed cats and they killed my low end, soo im adding a high flow cat, and headers because i heard the magnaflow highflow cat will gain low end, and the headers will gain top end, is that true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have already lost low end torque, you will more than likely lose a lot more with the Headers.

There has been about 3 reports of people going from stock, to headers. Only to go BACK to stock to get some performance back.

Our Explorers need a little more torque off the line to get the 5,000 or so pounds moving....

Ryan

95offroadx said:
people tell me they suck, why do they suck? Are explorers stock exhaust manifold restricive? Like I want to open my exhaust up, because right now i have hollowed cats and they killed my low end, soo im adding a high flow cat, and headers because i heard the magnaflow highflow cat will gain low end, and the headers will gain top end, is that true?
I put set of hedman headers on my 94 and I got more power . :thumbsup:

How do you know you got more power?

I have a hard time beleiving that headders would cause you to loose SOOOO much torque that you would remove them to regain the torque. The 4.0L in the Explorer uses a long stroke design, and long stroke designs excel at makeing torque its not all about your exhaust but it will have an effect.

One thing i have noticed everytime i get under my Explorer is how BADLY designed the stock exhaust is. Then i look at the headders/collecters and want to puke. The exhast from the driverside bank is crimped down to like 1 1/8" it joins the passenger side exhaust nearly flowing the wrong direction.

yea i never got how people say headers lost them back pressure or power, i mean its kinda hard to beleive, why do people put a bigger exhaust pipe on? its less restrictive, headers are less restrictive then our stock manifolds. now i can see if you go to big of a pipe you will loose power(back pressure). i have 2.5" exhaust on my truck it deff. got power at low end and top end, it pulled harder on the highway, and it was able to chrip the tires. Before it could never chrip the tires in a striaght line(which it cant do either with the 33's now) the collectors on the heddman headers are 2.5". And im hard press that the primary tube is that much bigger then stock its looses power

im not callin anyone a liar on anything, its just hard for me to beleive that headers will decrease power

4.0L OHV does well with headers, however you are only as good as your smallest bottleneck AND there is such a thing as too big when it comes to airflow and losing backpressure.

So intake:
70 mm MAS
63MM TB
then Headers and Y pipe
stock cat is fine, hi flow if you want
2.25" pipe
2.25 single I/0 muffler
2.5" pipe from muffler out

the headers will help the OHV 4.0L make powerhigher up into the power band, mroe rev happy engine, instead of falling flat on its face at like 4000

Where can I find a 70mm MAS? Someone said get any stock 89-93 5.0 Mustang MAS, but from searching on Ebay it looks to me that the stock 5.0 MAS looks no different then the stock Explorer MAS.

aldive said:
Try C & L and use stock electronics.

Good luck ....
All I could find on their site was a 73mm and it sounded like it came with the electronics.

And i would really like to find something that bolts to the stock box as i dont beleive in 'cold intakes'

Contact Doug at Bamachips; he can help you.

I got mine from him.

is the 73mm vortech mas any good?

also what would be a good idea for exhaust, what muffler should i get for the best power

2 1/4" IN single/2 1/2 dual out
2 1/4" in single/ 2 1/4 dual out
or i was thinking since i already have 2 1/2" pipe under there, get a new muffler with dual out either 2 1/4? or 2 1/2?

single out is better IMO, dual out on this engine would be just for looks and a single 2.5" pipe from the muffler back will help maintain the backpressure the computer likes.
Vortec MAS are just fine, I had a Granatelli on my 4.0L and it worked just fine for years. It was nothing more then an old Mustang MAS with the sensor flashed to work with the 4.0L computer and 19# injectors.
it will bolt to your stock airbox.
The factory airbox is restrictive on this truck, if you keep it at least let it breathe and fix the uintake ducting so it is not so prone to sucking up water (mud, slush, rain, snow)

410Fortune said:
Vortec MAS are just fine, I had a Granatelli on my 4.0L and it worked just fine for years. It was nothing more then an old Mustang MAS with the sensor flashed to work with the 4.0L computer and 19# injectors.
it will bolt to your stock airbox.
Would i need to do anything to the vortec MAS or would it be plug and play?

410Fortune said:
The factory airbox is restrictive on this truck, if you keep it at least let it breathe and fix the uintake ducting so it is not so prone to sucking up water (mud, slush, rain, snow)
I would like to know what leads you to beleive the stock box it self is restrictive?

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but its just that there isnt very much reliable information on MAS's and what you need to do to make them work. I have searched around the different intake threads and all that happens is "get _____ Mas" with no other information out there, like what lb injectors calibration etc.

spindlecone said:
How do you know you got more power?
I know how slow it was before and now it is a little faster .The 4.0 needs more help than headers or any other bolt on mods .

thanks 410fortune!

i dunno if headers helped me or not, i only imagine they did.

If you port the lower intake, thats all you really need. Clean up the heads real good, you probably would get tons of power back.

Back