New Timberline Owner Aux Light Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Timberline Owner Aux Light Question

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go. Can you tell me about the protective cap for the wiring? It sound like the OP said the cap was on the wiring attached to the light?? is that correct?
Here is a pretty good YouTube video I found. It's only a month old, wish I had it when I did my install. I can't say much about who did it, don't know anything about it, but it's has good instructions, the wiring harness cap parts starts around 7:25 mark.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a pretty good YouTube video I found. It's only a month old, wish I had it when I did my install. I can't say much about who did it, don't know anything about it, but it's has good instructions, the wiring harness cap parts starts around 7:25 mark.

Wow! Perfect. Gotta love the internet! Thanks!

Installed today. Took about 20 min. Thanks for the video. Helped a lot. Can’t wait to try them out!

So installed and tried them out and this is what I got. Low beams then aux lights on. Any adjustment on these? Also, what kind of beam pattern am I supposed to be getting? Obviously not what they are supposed to look like.

thumbnail_IMG_3827.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3828.jpg

So installed and tried them out and this is what I got. Low beams then aux lights on. Any adjustment on these? Also, what kind of beam pattern am I supposed to be getting? Obviously not what they are supposed to look like.
I haven't seen any other pictures of the aux lights in actual on-road use. Since they are meant for off-road use, perhaps the beam concentration is normal?:dunno: I don't believe that I noticed any way to adjust them in the installation video I watched.

Peter

View attachment 436945 View attachment 436946
That does look a little more cross beamed than mine... I think. Mine is still back at the dealer fighting a gremlin in the rear wiper motor wiring. When I get it back, I'll do my best to remember to get some pictures and will post them to compare.

That does look a little more cross beamed than mine... I think. Mine is still back at the dealer fighting a gremlin in the rear wiper motor wiring. When I get it back, I'll do my best to remember to get some pictures and will post them to compare.
Thank you. I'd appreciate it. The description on the ford performance page is vague as to the intended beam pattern.

Thank you. I'd appreciate it. The description on the ford performance page is vague as to the intended beam pattern.
Finally got it back from the shop, after checking last night, it does look like mine has a similar beam pattern. I guess I usually don't have those one without my fogs also, so I had never really noticed it. Hope this helps!

Off Road Only.jpg
Off Road and Fog.jpg

Finally got it back from the shop, after checking last night, it does look like mine has a similar beam pattern. I guess I usually don't have those one without my fogs also, so I had never really noticed it. Hope this helps!

View attachment 437210View attachment 437211
I'm going to try adjusting ours with the mounting screws and try to achieve a more uniform spread pattern down the road. Hopefully it works. Thanks for posting your results!

I'm going to try adjusting ours with the mounting screws and try to achieve a more uniform spread pattern down the road. Hopefully it works. Thanks for posting your results!
As mentioned before, looking at the video I watched on the installation of these lights, there doesn't appear to be any adjustment. It would appear that the pattern you see is what it is supposed to be. Keep in mind that these are not what they call 'Driving Lights' which have a more uniform spread.

Peter

When I did mine, I started to take off the entire grill, since there were 0 directions with it and not even a YouTube video yet.... They look good once they are on, and it's so simple, but it can make you feel real dumb trying to figure it out! Welcome to the Forum and enjoy it. FYI, you cannot turn them on with the highbeams on, I've tried even with Bambi Mode on they won't all work at the same time.
Totally. When I put mine on, it turned out to be 100x simpler than I had assumed. Ford made the process so fool-proof that I fooled myself into thinking it would be super complicated like any time you try to wire a new accessory to your vehicle. Love the lights, they look great, although in my Black Timberline, many folks think I'm a cop. lol

I'm considering a Timberline so I've looked into this too. Acknowledging that cameras see things differently than our eyes do, the beam pattern on the OEM lights doesn't look that useful to me but maybe they're designed to line up with the front camera. I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'll wait and hope an after-market manufacturer come out with substitutes that look as good but have a more useful beam pattern and cost half as much.

Sadly, though, with a touch of OCD, I don't know how long I can stand a switch that doesn't do anything so I might just have to pay for the Ford switches to get the wool sweater off of my bare skin...haha

I'm considering a Timberline so I've looked into this too. Acknowledging that cameras see things differently than our eyes do, the beam pattern on the OEM lights doesn't look that useful to me but maybe they're designed to line up with the front camera. I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'll wait and hope an after-market manufacturer come out with substitutes that look as good but have a more useful beam pattern and cost half as much.

Sadly, though, with a touch of OCD, I don't know how long I can stand a switch that doesn't do anything so I might just have to pay for the Ford switches to get the wool sweater off of my bare skin...haha
That's a fair assessment on the pattern. There is a LITTLE room to adjust them once installed, but not much. I haven't seen any aftermarket that fit it yet, not to say they aren't out there or coming soon, but I never saw anything that would work. I have used my a bit out on farms and to do some different things and they've been extremely useful, the pictures do make it look more centered than what I feel like I see in real life.

My OCD/ADHD was a big part of why I went on and bought these, haha. There was a button to push and I needed to push it and have it do something! Now, I did consider putting in an air horn with that the switch before I decided the lights were a better options.

Back