• Register Today It's free!

Hello everyone!

Clay Lynch

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLS
What's up Explorer folks! New to the forum and recently purchased a 03 Explorer for a low price of $900 due to a head gasket leak. The owner was told by many mechanics that he should just put another reman engine in and all said and done would run about $3800. He didn't want to do that, so he sold it to me as it was.

I've so far done a quick fix of "Steel Seal" which seems to be holding for now. I plan to either pull the engine, do the head gaskets and timing chains and everything else that needs addressing or I may swap in the 4.6 V8 which was an option in 03. Feedback welcome for sure on these options.

I really like the vehicle other than that head gasket looming over my head which could re-rupture at any time with the liquid fix I did. It's at 130K miles and no accidents (that I can determine...) good tires, clean interior, etc...

Anyway, good to find a forum for these vehicles, I think too many go to junk yards due to the situation I found this one in. That 4.0 is a mess in terms of the over head cams and the one timing chain on the back of the engine... man.

Take care guys, Clay

Clay, welcome to the forum.

Back