• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! 4x4

worshiprocker

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
Hey guys..Monday I bought a new to me 97 explorer with 67K miles... its a 4 door with the 4.0L and 4x4. I've been getting the flashing 4wd lights which seem standard. So today I go an crawl under the truck and notice....... there is no front drive shaft!! can I hurt anything by running with no front drive shaft? should I disconnect the 4x4 selector motor (sits on the back of the transfer case)? Thanks for any help. I only paid $3500 for this truck.. so far the evap system by the tank is GONE and now the front driv shaft is gone! it drives nice and runs pretty good. I don't mind wrenching on it, as it was a good price and I like to wrench.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya you shouldn't have any issues running with no front drive shaft. Just don't put it in 4wd. I wouldn't bother unplugging it as long as the person driving it knows not to put it into 4wd.

The flashing 4wd lights indicate a malfunction in the automatic 4wd system.. Best bet is to get it scanned for codes since there is no real way to interpret what the flashing lights indicate.

Thanks everyone.. I have a new front drive shaft on the way when I install i'm hoping it works properly..... I don't have any codes coming from the OBDII but if i'm not mistaken you need to scann the GEM module for 4x4 codes...

Yea a OBDII scanner well most of them will not read 4wd/tranny/abs codes. you need a more specialized scanner.

Back