Help ASAP daily Driver stuck in 4wd Low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help ASAP daily Driver stuck in 4wd Low

Skibug

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport 4x4
Just replaced the shift motor on the transfer case it shifted into 4low finally, but now will not shift back out of 4low. What could have happend and what can I do to check. The wire connector that came with the new motor did not have the needed pins or wires to match up with the transfer case. So I just cut the new one off and spliced the new wires from the new motro to the old connector. Color to color, everything matched up fine.

Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well assuming it is wired correctly try letting it sit for a bit then starting it with the switch in 4lo then shift tranny into Neutral........then shift into 4x4 high and wait a second......if it doesnt shift then pull forwards then reverse while the truck is rolling backwards shift in neutral then coast backwards then repeat the first thing........try that...hope it helps

Hit the shift motor with a hammer, that seemed to work for me. If not you can turn it maually with some plyers.

Ok, got it out of 4 low but in an odd way. And now it will not shift back into 4Low.

Here is the Order of what has happend so far.

1. Got new motor
2. Spliced it in
3. Noticed where motor was.
4. Got in truck and started the truck
5. Switch truck to 4Low
6. Looked at motor and noticed it moved to a different position. Good so far right?
7. Manually put transfer case in 4Low
8. now that shift motor and transfer case are in 4Low I bolt motor on.
9. Get in truck to try and shift it out of 4Low, no go, stuck in 4Low
10. An hour of checking fuses and scratching head. Fuses all good
11. Check motor by applying direct 12 volts. Works good both ways by reversing polarity
12. Get in truck, put switch in 2wd with truck off.
13. Hook motor back up and all of a sudden I see motor move to different position and it looks like 2hi for the transfer case.
14. Get brave and apply brake, trans in neutral, flip switch to 4Low and nothing happens.
15. Bolt it back up and still nothing for 4 Low.

This is where I am at now. It's a control wiring issue somewhere, but I can't figure out how or where the problem is. I tried adjusting the back plate on the motor to adjust the internal contact to tell the motor when to shut off and to switch polarity etc... Still no go. If anyone has a wire diagram for this damn thing, I would appreciate it. And how do you know where the contact adjustment is supposed to be on the new motor when the notches are different than the factory one?

Any help is appreciated. At least I can drive it now in 2wd. But pulling my boat up any ramps is near impossible sometimes without 4 low.

Jon

Where did you get the new shift motor? Can you just get the original from the factory so you dont have to cut and splice?

dont you have to tap the brake pedal while your in N after you flip the switch. might just be mine since its a stick? maybe its not like that for a auto..... something to think about....
kinda sounds like a wiring issue

I do all the proper engagement step as put on brake, in neutral, etc... I am going to take it off again and start from scratch.

Jon

Back