HELP Bled Brakes Now No Pedal????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP Bled Brakes Now No Pedal?????

Twilightcall

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' Explorer Limited
My brake pedal is very very low after flushing and bleeding my brakes.
My brake fluid was dirty and my pedal was lower than I would like so I thought I would flush it out and bleed it. I read through all of the archives and asked if there is anything special to watch out for.

With the key off I and a partner bled the brakes. 3-4 pumps then open the bleeder with the pedal held and closed the bleeder right before the pedal bottomed out. Started RR, then LR, then RF, LF.

Anyway, after completing I turn the X on to get ready to go out and the pedal just goes to the floor. It will stop but the pedal is very very low almost right on the floor. What could it be? I must have air in the system but how can I get it out. We bled it 3 more times and no more air came out, just clean, clear fluid. I even tried bleeding with the key on and it didn't help. All of my components were working well before this just the fluid was not clear anymore.
Maybe Air is in the ABS?

Just to add. No brake lights or ABS lights on. The Master Cylinder was never near out of fluid throughout the entire process. I have bled brakes many times and it always worked. Something isn't right.

Thanks and please let me know. I need my car to work.

If you pump the pedal a few times does the pedal come up? If so you still have air in the system. If not its possible you wiped the seals out of the master cylinder or the wheel cylinders.

If I pump it fast while I am moving it will come up some and stop a little better.

I bled all of the lines. I even tried bleeding at the master and the ABS.

I put it in reverse and stopped about 10 times and that didn't help. My front pads have at least 75% life on them.

Maybe there is air in the ABS? If so how do I get it out? Thanks.

Air in ABS

From the information given it would seem to only offer 2 possibilities, Air or master cly. If the master cyl. never was out of fluid then the air could not possibly get stuck in the ABS control. (You did say the master never went dry in the bleed process) this would leave the only possible place for air at the calipers. The other possibility is that in the bleed procedure the master cyl. moved beyond the stroke that it normal operates in, cutting a seal (could happen) and the master cyl. would need to be replaced. Unable to discern more with the information provided.

Back