HELP!!Break lights will not turn off!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!Break lights will not turn off!!!

Metallic2001

Reaction score
City, State
charleston, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer limited 4x4
Heres the problem-

I go outside and none of my lights are on except my brake lights so i take the fuse out and the lights go off then i put the fuse back in a they come back on. I take the fuse out again and turn my regular lights on and all the lights including the backlights come on like normal and then I put the fuse back in and the brake lights automatically come back on. Next, I take the brake light switch out to make sure it wasnt caught on anything (I just replaced the brake light switch about a month ago) and I put it back in and the problem is still there. I dont know what the problem could be. Could the brake light switch be bad and cause the brake lights to stay on? b/c the last time I had a problem with the light switch the brake lights wouldnt come on.

Marshall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the fuse in, and the brake switch out, would the lights come on?

Yes, it sounds like a bad brake switch, just opposite of your previous problem. WEIRD!!!!

Do you happen to have a continuity tester around, or a multi-meter?

nah i dont have anything like that

So if you disconnect the brake light switch from the electrical connector the lights go off right? I guess you have a bad switch if that is the case.

I replaced the brake light switch again for the second time in 2 months and they are working again. Is there some kind of way to adjust the switch if a adjustment problem was the reason it wasnt working?

I've got a similar problem. Mine will stay on too, however, I've removed the brake light switch and my lights STILL stay on!! Any ideas???? I tried checking the fuse, only to find out the previous owner didn't leave me the owner's manual and I can't find a diagram of my fuse panel anywhere, so if you have any idea where I can find the fuse on a '95, that would be a start.

Scott

OK, so I'm bringing this thread back again. I've replaced my switch, checked the fuses, and my brake lights still stay on. Anybody have an idea of what it might be? I have a feeling it may be a short somewhere, but I'm curious if there may be something else causing it before I go tearing through checking every wire.

I have the same problem. I will park the car and the brake lights will stay on. I have to go back in the car and press the brake. Once i press the brake, the brake lights go off. So now, once I shut off the car, i have to press the brakes a few times to make sure the brake lights do not stay on. Is this a brake switch problem or a master cyclinder problem not giving the brake pedal enough pressure to depress the brake switch? This just started within the last week. Thanks.

Back