• Register Today It's free!

help! engine prob

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
while starting my 94 exp the engine turned over and then while ideling stoped with a high pitch hissing sound. i started her up again and the hissing sound was still there and i pulled out on to the street and the check engine light went on and there was a significant amount of power loss on accleration. once i found a parking lot i pulled over and turned the car off for about 5 minutes and then started her up the check engine light came back on within a couple minutes of driving. came back home and poped the hood and on the driverside more on the top of the engine is where the hissing sound is comming from i dont have a code reader and i dont want to go to auto zone for fear of being stranded.

if anyone has had the same problem let me know

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this may sound dumb but its worth a shot

call to the local garages and see if they'd be able to let one of their workers come out with a code scanner and get that code read for you, that's obviously what your problem is.......or maybe you can call o'reilly's if you have those near you, see if they have a code scanner that you can rent from them, i know they have free tool rental but dont really know if thats something they would rent out.......its worth a try if you dont feel like getting stranded

or you could get a friend to follow you to autozone, just in case something does happen......just drive slow and be careful

how much do the scanners go for where would i buy one or should i just go to autozone and borrow one?

autozone wouldn't let you borrow a scanner, they do it for FREE while you wait

vacuum hose

Sounds like you poped a vacuum hose off the tee at the rear of the engine- check right by the brake booster adn look to see that all of the hoses are attached to the tee that comes out of the intake manifold. Ill bet you have one thats poped off. You may also have a cap that has been blown off. Some years have a cap on the tee.
Check them all for gas or trans fluid, make sure they are tight, may want to clamp them or replace the hoses.

Good Luck

i will look right now

well, thank you very much i thought i would have been more complicated the first hose facing the firewall was off i tried to put it back on but it wont fit (too loose) so i will have to find a replacement. what about these clamps what do they look like and that maybe what i will do instead of buying a new hose end.

look at the hose coming from the bottom of your power steering bottle, it'll be that kind of clamp that you're looking for.........or you could even use the kind that has a screw on it to tighten it

i think i will just buy a new hose boot. i appreciate all the help mo guy and stevevb

Back