HELP - Exhaust question for 1998 5.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP - Exhaust question for 1998 5.0?

oreokid220

Reaction score
City, State
Wyckoff, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 EB
Well I know I want a TRUE dual exhaust for my 1998 5.0 that must pass emmisions but my question is:

What size tubing should be used.

What suggestions do you have on the best performance mufflers.

What are the best high flow cats and how many are needed.

I cannot find headers for my truck, does anyone have info.

I cannot find an H-pipe that is made for performance.

Thanks for all the suggestiong and YES I have used the search finction and it has helped, but I am still alittle lost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

buy two flowmaster 40 single in, single out with 2 1/4 in, and 2.5 out for each muffler. you have to get your heat shield cut out, and then place those mufflers side by side sidways and get them welded in. a few poeple on the board have them. i know rocket5979 has a true dual setup.

i have to agree with jssong, i have a 98 with true duals...but you have to have a crossover pipe.....a pipe that links te two exhausts pipes together to balance out the exhaust pulses.....but what jssong said is a good idea....its exactly what i did ....sorry i dont have any pics of it to show you but a good exhaust shop with be able to perform this without question.....good luck...

about the headers....they are hard to find but not imposible, and the cats um...if you have to pass emisions you will need them but you CAN get high flow cats through various places such as summit or jegs or possibley your local exhaust shops....but remeber if you open up the exhaust side the you must open up the intake side to alow the engine to breath balanced.... in other words youll need a good intake kit like kkm or mac to let in the same amont more air in the engine as the exhaust will let out....good luck...

Thanks, yeah I got the balance on my 93 and now it is time for the 98. Thanks again for the help.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

Go to a local muffler shop and have them take a look. Cutting out the heat shield wasnt something i wanted to do, so im going with a single flow 40 this summer, with an offset inlet,and dual outlet....... and cutting the a hole to make it a dual inlet. therefore i wont have to cut the heat shield, and will have a somewhat dual exhaust setup.. more like dual exit ;P

Back