Help - Misfire / Stuttering 98 XLT SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Misfire / Stuttering 98 XLT SOHC

rbejexp

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Please help. My wife recently drove my 98 Explorer fairly low on fuel :mad:. Ran fine after refueling but the next day it was very apparent that it was misfiring and stuttering. Engine shook and especially when you took the RPM's to 1500 you could feel the misfire. Still drove and could climb uphill but was a rough drive. I immediately thought it was a clogged fuel filter so I changed that but no improvement. I dove into the forums and:

Change plugs
Check the coil pack - resistance good
Check spark plug wires - visually good and confirmed each wire produced a spark though I think I am going to change them out anyway.
Check Cam Sensor - appears to work fine - tested per Haynes
Change Air filter
Coolant levels are fine
Temps are ok - so don't think it is a plugged thermostat.

I do smell a hint of fuel with the hood open. I would think this is normal but not sure. I am thinking it maybe a plugged injector but I wanted to know the best and easiest way to check this. It looks like I have to remove the intake manifold to get to most of them so how could I confirm that is the problem if I might be able to start the engine without the manifold?

Another question is the Cam Sensor - tested fine out of the car but when testing it with the engine on I was not getting a large fluctuation in voltage that I get with it out and placing a piece of metal to the end of it. Any similar experience?

Any help or advice would be appreciate!!!!
BTW Explorer XLT has 83K, V6, SOHC, 4X2
Thanks

Please help. My wife recently drove my 98 Explorer fairly low on fuel :mad:. Ran fine after refueling but the next day it was very apparent that it was misfiring and stuttering. Engine shook and especially when you took the RPM's to 1500 you could feel the misfire.

Change the plug wires. If the problem does not go away it's probably timing the tensioners in these things SUK! I think mine jumped time and now I have been getting low MPG and lackluster performance.

Does not look easy to adjust they also sell a kit from ford to fix the problem. I purchased it, but have not put it in yet.

You mentioned the tensioners. I read about this before on other threads. Are these separate from the guides on the timing chain. To change the tensioners do you need to access the timing chain and/or remove it? Based from what I read, you are right working on timing anything sucks on this model.

You mentioned the tensioners. I read about this before on other threads. Are these separate from the guides on the timing chain. To change the tensioners do you need to access the timing chain and/or remove it? Based from what I read, you are right working on timing anything sucks on this model.

Yeah it looks like you have to take the whole front of the motor off. Not an easy job. I have the Haynes book and I am reading up on it.

Now my motor has the startup timing chain rattle so I need to do it soon. Probably the tensioner. I think they are $25 at autozone.

Back